All Lewis entries for Killashee



Killashee

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Longford

CLONODONNELL

CLONODONNELL, a parish, in the barony and county of LONGFORD, and province of LEINSTER, 4 miles (W.) from Longford, on the road to Strokestown ; the population is returned with the parish of Killashee. It contains 1889 acres of arable and pasture land, and 3372 of bog. Good limestone is found, much of which is burnt in the vicinity of Richmond harbour, which place has a penny post to Longford, and a distillery manufacturing 80,000 gallons of whiskey annually, and employing about 70 men. The Royal Canal terminates there, and enters the Camlin, which joins the Shannon. The principal seats are Springfield, the residence of Capt. V. Skipton ; and Rhynnmount, of W. D'Arcy, Esq. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Ardagh, united, with part of the rectory, by act of council in 1781, to the rectory and vicarage of Killashee ; the other portion of the rectory is appropriate to the see : the tithes amount to £77. 11. 2., of which £26. 6. 11. is payable to the archbishop of Tuam, and £51. 4. 3. to the vicar. There is a glebe of 19a. 2r. 25p. In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union of Killashee (which see), and has a chapel at Richmond harbour, where a school is supported by the incumbent, who built the school-house on the glebe, and uses it as a lecture-room. On the island of Clondra are the remains of a very ancient church ; and near it are the ruins of Clonleman castle.

KILLASHEE

KILLASHEE, a parish, in the barony of MOYDOW, county of LONGFORD, and province of LEINSTER, 4 miles (E. N. E.) from Lanesborough, on the road from Longford to Roscommon ; containing, with the parish of Clonodonnell, 4140 inhabitants, of which number 351 are in the village. It comprises 4615 statute acres of profitable land, valued at £3153 per annum, besides about 9924 of bog and waste land. Agriculture is in a backward state ; there is an abundance of limestone, which is used for manure and for building. The village comprises 70 houses ; it is a constabulary police station, and has petty sessions on alternate Mondays, and fairs on the second Monday in March, May 26th, Sept. 29th, and the first Wednesday in December. The Shannon and the Royal Canal pass in the vicinity. Here is Middletown, the residence of H. Montfort, Esq. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Ardagh, united by act of Council in 1781 to the rectory and vicarage of Clonodonnell, and is in the patronage of the Bishop. The rectory is partly appropriate to the bishoprick and partly to the vicarage. The tithes amount to £183. 7. 8., of which £34. 17. 10. is payable to the bishop, and £148. 9. 10. to the vicar, and the entire tithes of the benefice amount to £199. 14. 1. The church has recently been rebuilt by a grant of £1211 from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. The glebe-house has two glebes, comprising 167 acres. In the R. C. divisions this parish is the head of a union or district corresponding with that of the Established Church, and has a chapel at Killashee and one at Clondra. There is also a place of worship for Primitive Methodists. The parochial school of the union is on Erasmus Smith's foundation, the trustees of which contributed to the expense of building the school-house ; about 100 children are educated in this, and about 220 in two other public schools, to one of which the incumbent contributes £20, and to another £18. 15. per annum, and about 325 children in three private schools ; there is also a Sunday school. Lady Hutchinson bequeathed £5 annually for the repair of Sir James Hutchinson's tomb, the surplus of which is distributed among the poor. Here is a subterraneous stream and a large cave ; and at Ballynakill are the ruins of a church with a burying-ground attached.

RICHMOND HARBOUR

RICHMOND HARBOUR, also called CLONDRA, or CLOONDRA, a village, in that part of the parish of KILLASHEE which is in the barony of LONGFORD, county of LONGFORD, and province of LEINSTER, 4 miles (W.) from Longford ; containing 41 houses and 214 inhabitants. It is situated on the river Camlin near its junction with the Shannon ; the former is here crossed by a bridge of five arches, and is connected by a lock with the terminus of the Royal Canal from Dublin, thus affording a great facility of conveyance for agricultural produce, particularly corn, of which a considerable quantity is sold daily in the village. Here is the extensive distillery of Mr. Wm. Fleming, producing annually more than 70,000 gallons of whiskey, and employing upwards of 70 persons. A constabulary police force is stationed in the village, and there is a penny post to Longford. A branch of the Shannon from the vicinity of Castle Forbes falls into the Camlin near the village, and forms the isolated tract called the Island of Clondra.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021