All Lewis entries for Drummully



Drummully

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Fermanagh

DRUMMULLY

DRUMMULLY, a parish, partly in the barony of DARTRY, county of MONAGHAN, but chiefly in that of COOLE, county of FERMANAGH, and province of ULSTER, 4 miles (W. by S.) from Clones, on the road from Dublin to Enniskillen ; containing 667 inhabitants. According to the Ordnance survey it comprises 7639 statute acres, including part of Drumkrin ; of these, 2520 are in Monaghan and 5119 in Fermanagh. The soil is generally good, and there is no waste land, but abundance of bog and limestone ; about 600 acres are under water. Among the seats are Cara, the residence of J. Hassard, Esq. ; Lake View, of D. Smith, Esq. ; and Farm Hill, of C. Crowe, Esq. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Clogher and patronage of the Bishop ; on the demise of the incumbent of Currin, a considerable part of Drumkrin, which is now held with that parish, will be united to Drummully, The tithes amount to £19, and the glebe comprises 154 acres, The church is a small building. In the R. C. divisions it is the head of a district, including Drummully, Drumkrin, and Galloon, and has two chapels in the last-named parish : about 60 children are educated in a public and 100 in a private school.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021