BALLYFERMOT, a parish, in the barony of NEWCASTLE, county of DUBLIN, and province of LEINSTER, 3 miles (W. by S.) from Dublin; containing 402 inhabitants. It is intersected on the south side by the Grand Canal, and comprises 1178 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at £3214 per annum. Ballyfermot Castle, an ancient building, is now the residence of Capt. Lamplin; the other seats are Johnstown, the residence of T. Daly, Esq., and Johnstown Lodge, of - Place, Esq. An extensive paper-manufactory, belonging to Messrs McDonnel and Sons, in which from 70 to 80 persons are generally employed, is carried on at Killeen: the principal kinds made are bank-note paper for the Bank of Ireland, and printing paper for the Dublin newspapers. Within the enclosure of this establishment, which resembles a small town, are dwelling-houses for the workmen and their families : the house of the proprietor is pleasantly situated in some tastefully ornamented grounds. There is also in the parish a small manufacture of glue and parchment. It is a rectory, in the diocese of Dublin, and is part of the union of Chapelizod: the tithes amount to £130. The church is in ruins. In the R. C. divisions it is included inthe union or district of Lucan, Palmerstown, and Clondalkin.