All Lewis entries for Faughanvale



Faughanvale

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Derry

FAUGHANVALE

FAUGHANVALE, a parish, in the barony of TIRKERAN, county of LONDONDERRY, and province of ULSTER, 8 miles (S. E.) from Londonderry, on the mail coach road to Coleraine ; containing 6218 inhabitants. This parish, which is bounded on the north by Lough Foyle, comprises, according to the Ordnance survey, 18,582- statute acres, the greater portion of which was granted in 1609, by Jas. I., to the Grocers' Company of London, who in 1619 erected a strong and handsome castle, surrounded by a bawn, in which they placed a powerful garrison, In the war of 1641 this castle sustained a siege for several months, and resolutely held out against the parliamentarians till the garrison was relieved ; it was again besieged and finally taken and dismantled by the parliament ; the ruins were standing till 1823, when they were removed, and the present glebe-house erected on the site. Of the remainder of the parish, part is held in perpetuity equally by Lesley Alexander, Esq., and the heirs of the late Sir Wm. Ponsonby, who pay a chief rent of £200 per ann. to the Goldsmiths' Company ; part belongs to Major Scott, part to the see of Derry, and a few of the native townlands in the Grocers' proportion to the Marquess of Londonderry. The land is generally fertile, especially round the villages of Faughanvale and Muff, and the system of agriculture has been greatly improved under the auspices of the North West Agricultural Society, and the gentry resident in the district. Many thousand acres of bog and waste land have been reclaimed and brought into profitable cultivation ; the lands are well drained and fenced, and there are extensive and flourishing plantations, exclusively of the ancient oak woods of Walworth, which are principally in this parish. At Creggan and Tullynee are quarries of excellent slate, but they are only partially worked, and principally for flags and tombstones. The principal seats are Willsborough, that of Major Scott ; Foyle Park, of Lesley Alexander, Esq. ; Campsey, of J. Quin, Esq. ; Creggan, of T. Major, Esq. ; Coolafeeney, of T. Lecky, Esq. ; Muff House, of the Rev. J. Christie ; and Tullybrisland, of T. Major, Esq. A manorial court, in which debts not exceeding 40s. are recoverable, is held at Muff for that part of the parish which belongs to the Grocers' Company. The living is a rectory and perpetual curacy, in the diocese of Derry ; the rectory forming part of the union of Templemore and of the corps of the deanery of Derry, and the curacy in the patronage of the Dean, The tithes amount to £700, payable to the dean, and the glebe comprises 1035 statute acres. The curacy was instituted in 1823 ; the stipend is £92. 6. 2., of which £69. 4. 7-. is paid by the dean, and £23. 1. 6-. from Primate Boulter's fund. The glebe-house, with a glebe of 10 acres, was given to the curate by the Grocers' Company. The church, a spacious and handsome edifice, with a square tower crowned with pinnacles, was built in 1821, by a loan of £1000 from the late Board of First Fruits, near the ruins of a former church built by the Grocers' Company in 1626, in the village of Muff, and about three miles distant from the ruins of the ancient parish church. The R. C. parish is coextensive with that of the Established church ; the chapel is at Creggan. At Tullinee there is a place of worship for Presbyterians in connection with the Synod of Ulster, of the second class. About 370 children are taught in six public schools, of which the parochial school at Muff is supported by a grant of £30 per ann. from the trustees of Erasmus Smith's charity, and annual donations from the Grocers' Company and the rector ; the school-house, adjoining the church, a large and handsome edifice, was erected in 1814. A school at Graceteel is under the Fishmongers' Company, who pay the whole charges for children of cottiers and one-half for those of farmers on their estate ; two are aided by the Marquess of Londonderry and Major Scott ; and an agricultural school is supported by shareholders and subscribers, and by the labour of the scholars on the farm. There are also three private schools, in which are about 150 children, and three Sunday schools. A valuable donation of sacramental plate and furniture for the altar and pulpit was bequeathed to the church, in 1665, by Bishop Wild, who also left £5 for the poor.

MUFF

MUFF, a village, in the parish of FAUGHANVALE, barony of TIRKEERAN, county of LONDONDERRY, and province of ULSTER, 6 miles (N. E. by E.) from Londonderry, on the old road to Coleraine ; containing 192 inhabitants. This place owes its origin to the Grocers' Company of London, to whom, on the settlement of Ulster, Jas. I. granted the adjacent lands, on which the company erected a large bawn and a strong castle, defended by a garrison of their own tenantry. The castle was besieged in 1641 by the insurgents under Col. McDonnell, and gallantly defended by the garrison during the winter of that year, till relieved in the following summer by the troops from Derry, but it afterwards fell in the hands of the parliamentarians, by whom it was dismantled. The company, in 1626, erected a church here, which has ever since been the parish church of Faughanvale ; and on the expiration of the leases, which they had granted for long terms, resumed the management of their estate in 1819, since which period very considerable improvements have been made. The company's manor comprehends 38 townlands, extending into the parishes of Lower Cumber and Clondermot, and comprising 16,500 statute acres. The village has been entirely rebuilt ; the houses are large and of handsome appearance, the streets spacious and regularly laid out, and the roads leading to it well constructed and kept in good repair. In conjunction with the resident gentry of the neighbourhood, the company established an agricultural school at Templemoyle, with which a classical school at Fallowlee is connected, and for its use allotted 130 acres for experiments in practical farming, in consideration of which they send three free pupils into the school. Fairs are held on the first Thursday in Feb., May, Aug., and Nov., for cattle, sheep, pigs, and various articles of merchandise. A penny post has been established to Londonderry, a constabulary police force is stationed here, and petty sessions are held on the first Tuesday in every month. A manorial court is held monthly before the seneschal, for the recovery of debts under 40s, ; the court and market-house is a spacious and handsome building in the centre of the village. The old church built by the company having fallen into decay, a new church in the early English style was erected in 1821, towards which a loan of £1000 was granted by the late Board of First Fruits ; the glebe-house (erected by the Company), a dispensary, and an almshouse for 20 poor widows, are also in the village. There are some remains of the old parish church ; but not a vestige of the bawn or castle, except the vaults of the latter, can be traced.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021