All Lewis entries for Kinawley


More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Cavan


KINAWLEY, a parish, partly in the barony of TULLAGHAGH, county of CAVAN, partly in that of GLENAWLEY, but chiefly in that of KNOCKNINNY, county of FERMANAGH, and province of ULSTER, 6 miles (N. W.) from Ballyconnell, on the road to Enniskillen ; containing, with the post-town of Swanlinbar, which is separately described, 16,077 inhabitants. According to the Ordnance survey it comprises 51,004 statute acres, of which 15,346- are in the county of Cavan ; and, including islands, 35,657- are in the county of Fermanagh ; of the latter number, 2895 acres are in Upper Lough Erne, and 645- in small loughs. Agriculture is in a good state ; there is a considerable quantity of bog, and limestone and freestone are abundant. Cuilcagh mountain, which, according to the Ordnance survey, is 2188 feet high, is in the Cavan part of the parish. The river Shannon rises at the base of this mountain from a deep circular gulph, 20 feet in diameter, and there is another deep gulph about three-quarters of a mile from this, in which the flowing of water may be heard. The elevation of the source of the Shannon above Lough Allen is 115 feet, and above the sea 275 feet. Petty sessions are held every fortnight at Derrilin, where fairs are held on May 27th and Oct. 27th. The principal seats are Mount Prospect, the residence of Blaney Winslow, Esq. ; Dresternan, of D. T. Winslow, Esq. ; Prospect Hill, of A. Maguire, Esq. ; and Cloghan, of D. Winslow, Esq. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Kilmore, and in the patronage of the Bishop ; the tithes amount to £369. 4. 7-. The glebe-house was erected in 1822, by aid of a loan of £787 from the late Board of First Fruits. There is a church at Derrilin, and one at Swanlinbar, which is in a ruinous state. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms two unions or districts, called Kinawley, in which are chapels at Kinawley and Swanlinbar ; and Knockaninny, in which are chapels at Knockaninny, Glassmullen, and Drumderrig. There are eight public schools, in which about 850 children are educated, and 13 private schools, in which are about 570, also seven Sunday schools.


SWANLINBAR, a post-town, in the parish of KINAWLEY, barony of TULLAGHAGH, county of CAVAN, and province of ULSTER, 8 miles (N. W.) from Ballyconnell, to which it has a penny-post ; containing 398 inhabitants. This town is supposed to have derived its origin from a rich iron mine in the neighbouring mountain of Cuilcagh, which was worked at a remote period to a very considerable extent. The ore was smelted into pig iron in furnaces about half a mile distant, and manufactured into bars at some works erected upon a powerful mountain stream which flows through the village : these works were continued till all the timber of the mountains was consumed in smelting the ore, when they were necessarily abandoned. In 1786 a considerable part of the town was destroyed by an accidental fire, which consumed 22 houses, It now contains 79 houses, and is situated on the old road from Ballyconnell to Enniskillen, and surrounded by the wild mountains of the barony : it is chiefly distinguished for its mineral waters, which are strongly impregnated with sulphur, earth, sea salt and fossil alkali, and in their medicinal effect are both alterative and diaphoretick and are esteemed highly efficacious as a restorative from debility. From April to September it is the resort of numbers of the gentry of the surrounding district. The spa is situated in an enclosure tastefully laid out in pleasant walks and embellished with thriving plantations. Contiguous to the well is a handsome pump-room, in which the visiters usually take breakfast, and on reassembling an excellent dinner is provided. The surrounding mountains afford ample scope for the researches of the mineralogist, arid contain several natural and artificial caves ; on the neighbouring townlands of Lurgan and Coolagh are strong indications of coal, A few linens are manufactured in the vicinity, besides other articles of clothing for the inhabitants. Fairs are held annually on Feb. 2nd, March 30th, May 18th, June 29th, July 27th, Aug. 18th, Sept. 3rd and 29th, Oct. 26th, and Dec. 1st and 29th. A chief constabulary police station has been established ; and petty sessions are held on alternate Wednesdays. On the summit of the mountain of Cuilcagh, is a fine spring of excellent water : on this mountain, which is intimately associated with much of the legendary history of the district, the Maguires anciently invested their chiefs with supreme command over the adjacent country of Fer-managh.

John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham, Eoin Grenham 2023