All Lewis entries for Clonygoose


More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Carlow


BORRIS, or BORRIS-IDRONE, a village, in the parish of CLONAGOOSE, barony of IDRONE EAST, county of CARLOW, and province of LEINSTER, 3 miles (S. E.) from Goresbridge; containing 671 inhabitants. This place is situated near the river Barrow, on the road from Carlow to Ross : it has a patent for a market on Friday, which is not held, and a penny post to Goresbridge. Borris House, the noble seat of the late T. Kavanagh, Esq., is situated in an extensive and richly wooded demesne, and commands fine views terminated on the south-east by the imposing range of the Blackstairs mountains. This mansion, which externally exhibits the appearance of an English baronial residence of the 16th century, while every advantage of convenience and splendour is secured within, has been for ages the chief residence of the posterity of Donald Kavanagh, natural son of Mac Murrough, last King of Leinster, whose name and authority he subsequently assumed. In 1642, being garrisoned by the parliamentarians, it was besieged by the Irish, and with difficulty the garrison was relieved and reinforced by Sir C. Coote. In the disturbances of 1798 it sustained two attacks; first, on May 24th, when the insurgents were repulsed by Capt. Kavanagh's yeomanry corps, with the loss of 50 killed and wounded; and afterwards on June 12th, from a detachment sent against it from Vinegar Hill, on which occasion it was defended with great bravery by a party of the Donegal militia, who compelled the assailants, after burning the out-offices and destroying some houses in Borris, to retire with considerable loss. At Kilcamney, in the vicinity, an action was also fought, in which the insurgents were routed with the loss of their stores by the king's forces under Sir C. Asgill. Petty sessions are held here every alternate Thursday, and road sessions occasionally : the court-house was lately erected by Mr. Kavanagh. This is a chief constabulary police station; and there is a small barrack for the accommodation of about 30 men. Fairs for cattle, sheep, pigs, &c., are held on Jan. 1st, Feb. 5th, May 1st, July 2nd, Aug. 15th, Oct. 4th, and Nov. 14th, and four more fairs have been lately obtained; that in July is a considerable fair for wool. Attached to Borris House is a very handsome private chapel, erected by the late Mr. Kavanagh, and open to the inhabitants. In the R. C. divisions this place is the head of a union or district comprising parts of the parishes of Clonagoose, Ullard (county of Kilkenny), St. Mullins, and Ballyellin, and the whole of that of Kiltennel: the parochial chapel is a handsome edifice, lately built at an expense of £2000. There is a school, in which 150 boys and 90 girls are taught: the school-house is a commodious building, erected and fitted up by local contributions amounting to £274. 5. 6., and a grant of £97. 5. 6. from the National Board. A dispensary is maintained in the customary manner; and there is an institution called the Borris Benevolent Society,' established about eight years, to which the payment of one shilling monthly entitles each member, in case of sickness, to a weekly allowance of 5s. for the first three months, and of 2s. 6d. afterwards so long as he shall continue sick. At Borris House is preserved the " Figeen," a curious ornament of silver and tin, found on the demesne; and an ancient horn and a casket, called the Liat h-Mersici Hi, esteemed among the most valuable curiosities in the museum of Trinity College, Dublin, are relics which formerly belonged to the Kavanaghs. -See CLONAGOOSE.


CLONAGOOSE, a parish, in the barony of IDRONE, EAST, county of CARLOW, and province of LEINSTER ; comprising the village of Borris, which has a penny post to Goresbridge ; and containing 2394 inhabitants. This parish, which is also called Clonegford, is bounded on the south-west by the river Barrow, the navigation of which extends to New Ross and Waterford, and up the river to Athy, where the canal to Dublin commences. It comprises 5392 statute acres in a high state of cultivation, as applotted under the tithe act ; there are about 325 acres of woodland and 460 of waste. The principal seats are Borris House, the residence of the ancient family of Kavanagh, for a description of which see Borris ; and Kilcoltrim, of Luke Hagarty, Esq. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Leighlin, episcopally united, in 1714, to that of Kiltennel, but recently separated from it, and in the patronage of' the Bishop ; the rectory is impropriate in Lord Cloncurry, The tithes amount to £255, of which £165 is payable to the impropriator, and £90 to th e vicar, whose income has been lately augmented by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners with a grant of £20 per ann., from Primate Boulter's fund. A parochial church is in progress of erection, prior to which the only place of worship in connection with the Protestant establishment was a beautiful private chapel attached to Borris House, built by the late Mr. Kavanagh. In the R. C. divisions this parish is partly attached to the union or district of Borris, and partly to that of Dunleckney ; at the former is a handsome chapel, lately built at an expense of £2000. A parochial school for boys and girls, and an infants' and a Sunday school, are supported by subscription ; and at Borris, Ballymartin, and Ballymurphy are national schools for both sexes : the day schools afford instruction to about 400 boys and 320 girls. A charitable loan fund of £60 is conducted for the benefit of the poor of all denomina tions. The remains of the old church are situated in a burial-ground about a mile from Borris.

John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham, Eoin Grenham 2022