DRUMCREE,a parish, in the barony of O'NEILLAND WEST, county of ARMAGH, and province of ULSTER ; containing, with the post-town and district parish of Portadown, 12,355 inhabitants. According to the Ordnance survey, it comprises 13,385- statute acres : there is a very large tract of bog, most of which is valuable. The weaving of linen and cotton is carried on to a great extent. The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Armagh, and in the patronage of the Lord-Primate : the tithes amount to £650. A large and handsome glebe-house was erected by the Rev. C. Alexander, in 1828, aided by a gift of £100 from the late Board of First Fruits : the glebe comprises 567 acres, of which 93 are bog. The parish church is a large ancient building, with a tower and spire ; and a chapel of ease was built at Portadown, in 1826. The R. C. parish is co-extensive with that of the Established Church, and has a small chapel at Drumeree. There are places of worship for Wesleyan Methodists at Portadown and Scotch-street, and for Primitive Methodists at Derryanville, Scotch-street, and Drumnakelly. Two large and handsome schools have been erected and endowed by the Rev. C. Alexander, who also principally supports three others. The school at Mullantine was built and is supported by Lady Mandeville ; and at Ballyworken, Sir F. W. Macnaghten, Bart., has endowed one with a house and four acres of land for the master. In these schools about 370 children are educated, and about 60 are educated in two private schools. Roger Marley, Esq., bequeathed £30 per annum to the poor, payable out of a farm at Drumanally ; and Mrs. Johnston, in 1809, left for their use the interest of £100. At Battentaggart are considerable remains of an extensive mansion, erected by the Bolton family, in the reign of James I. A very ancient bell was found some years since in the churchyard of Drumcree.-See PORTADOWN.
PORTADOWN, a market and post-town, and district parish, in the barony of ONEILLAND WEST, county of ARMAGH, and province of ULSTER, 9 miles (N. E.) from Armagh, and 69 (N. by W.) from Dublin, on the road from Armagh to Belfast ; containing 4906 inhabitants, of which number, 1591 are in the town. This place, anciently called Port-ne-doon, or " the port of the fortified eminence," derived that name from an ancient castle of the McCanns or McCanes, who were tributaries of the O'Nials and occupied this very important station, commanding the pass of the river Bann. The adjoining lands were, under the name of the manor of Ballyoran, granted by Jas. I. to William Powell, Esq., and afterwards by Chas, I., in the 7th of his reign, to Prudence Obyns and John Obyns, Esq., who erected a large mansion in the Elizabethan style for their own residence, and built 14 houses, in which they settled fourteen English families, Of the ancient mansion there is scarcely a vestige, except the gardens, and the avenue, which is still tolerably perfect. The town, which has been greatly extended, and the manor, are now the property of Viscount Mandeville. The former is very advantageously situated on the river Bann, over which is a stone bridge of seven arches, connecting it with the small suburb of Edenderry, in the parish of Seagoe. It consists of one spacious and handsome street, with Several smaller streets branching from it in various directions ; and contains 315 houses, of which those in the principal street are large and well built. The town has been greatly improved within the last 40 years, previously to which it was comparatively of little importance ; it is paved and cleansed by a committee appointed under the act of the 9th of Geo. IV., which raises money for that purpose by an assessment on the inhabitants, The river, which falls into Lough Neagh about seven miles below the town to the north, and communicates with the Newry canal about one mile above it to the south, is navigable for vessels of 80 tons burden ; but from a bar at its mouth, and from want of depth in the canal, the vessels generally navigating it seldom exceed 60 tons. The bridge, which is the only one across the river between Knock and Toome, a distance of full 30 miles, was built in 1764, hut has suffered so much from the winter floods, that it has become necessary to rebuild it, and the expense is estimated at £8000. The chief trade is in corn, pork, cattle, and agricultural pro-duce, and is greatly promoted by the situation of the place in the centre of an extensive and fertile district. The corn trade is particularly brisk during the winter ; on an average, from £10,000 to £15,000 is laid out weekly in the purchase of grain, which is shipped to Newry and Belfast for exportation to England, the vessels return-ing with cargoes of timber, coal, slates, iron, and articles for inland consumption. The manufacture of linen, lawn, cambric and sheeting is extensively carried on, chiefly for the bleachers and factors of Banbridge ; and the weaving of cotton goods for the merchants of Belfast also affords employment to a great number of persons. A very large distillery has' been established, consuming annually more than 3000 tons of malt, bere, and oats ; there is also a very extensive porter brewery ; and since the Tyrone collieries were opened, brick-making has been extensively carried on. The market is on Saturday, and is abundantly supplied with provisions of all kinds, and with linen yarn, which is sold in great quantities. Fairs are held on the third Saturday in every month, and also on Easter-Monday and Whit-Monday, for cattle, pigs, and pedlery, and during the winter great quantities of pork are sold. A large and commodious market-place, with shambles and every requisite, has been recently erected by subscription, and is under the regulation of a committee, A chief constabulary police force is stationed in the town ; petty sessions are held every Saturday ; and courts for the manors of Ballyoran and Richmount, at which debts to the amount of 40s. are recoverable, every third Monday, before a seneschal appointed by Viscount Mande-ville,
The district parish comprises 3836 statute acres, mostly in a profitable state of cultivation ; the demesne attached to the ancient mansion of the Obyns family, with the exception of a tract of woodland, has been parcelled out into farms, The principal seats are Ballyworkan, the residence of G. Pepper, Esq. ; Carrick, of Lieu. Col. Blacker, a fine old mansion, embellished with some stately timber; Clowna, of J. Woolsey, Esq. ; Eden Villa, of W. Atkinson, Esq. ; and Fair View, of T. Carleton, Esq. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the diocese of Armagh, and in the patronage of the Rector of Drumcree, who pays the curate a stipend of £150. The church, a handsome edifice in the early English style, with a tower at the east end, and for the erection of which the late Board of First Fruits contributed a gift of £831, and a loan of £461, was built in 1826 ; and the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have lately granted £173 for its repair. In the R. C. divisions the parish gives name to a union or district, including also the parish of Drumcree, where is the chapel. There are two places of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. About 550 children are taught in seven public schools, of which two are supported by the rector, four by Lord and Lady Mandeville, and one partly by Mrs. Henry ; there are also five private schools, in which are about 100 children, and two Sunday schools, A dispensary for the tenants of the Portadown estate is wholly sup-ported by Lord Mandeville, by whom also a lending-library and a loan fund have been established,