All Lewis entries for Killadysert



Killadysert

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Clare

CANON ISLAND

CANON ISLAND, or INNISNEGANANAGH, an island, in the parish of KILDYSART, barony of CLONDERLAW, county of CLARE, and province of MUNSTER, about 1? mile (E.) from Kildysart: the population is returned with the parish. It is situated at the confluence of the Shannon and Fergus, about ? of a mile from the shore, and contains 207 acres of excellent land, partly under tillage, the sea-weed collected on its shores being used as manure. It was anciently called Elanagranoch ;and here Donald O'Brien, king of Limerick, in the 12th century, founded or rebuilt a priory for Canons Regular of the order of St. Augustine. A moiety of the priory, with the various lands, tithes, profits, and demesne lands thereof, was granted in fee, in 1605, to Donogh, Earl of Thomond, and was afterwards granted in fee, or confirmed, to his successor, Henry, in 1661. The ruins, which are situated at the north-eastern extremity of the island, consist of a square tower and a considerable portion of the body of the building, which is said to have covered a quarter of an acre.

COSCORY

COSCORY, or ENNIS-CORKER, an island, in the parish of KILDYSART, barony of CLONDERLAW, county of CLARE, and province of MUNSTER, 1 mile (E. by S.) from Kildysart. This island, which is inhabited by one family only, is situated near the western shore of the river Fergus, at its junction with the Shannon, and contains about 165 statute acres of excellent land, which is mostly in pasture ; the portion under tillage is manured with sea-weed, and produces good crops of grain and potatoes.

INNISDADROM

INNISDADROM, or CONEY ISLAND, a parish and island, in the barony of ISLANDS, county of CLARE, and province of MUNSTER, 3? miles (N. E.) from Kildysart; the population is returned with the parish of Clondagad. It is situated nearly in the centre of the river Fergus, about a mile and a quarter from its western shore, and is estimated to contain about 226 statute acres; it is at present inhabited by about 10 families. The land is remarkably fertile, and chiefly in tillage; the substratum of the soil is limestone, and there is an abundant supply of sea-manure. Between this island and a ridge of rock, called Rat island, is a sound through which vessels drawing 11 feet of water can pass with a leading wind; it is narrow, and not more than two fathoms deep at low water, but the tide passes through it rapidly. It is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Killaloe, forming pan of the union of Lateragh and of the corps of the precentorship in the cathedral of Killaloe; but it is stated in the late report of the Ecclesiastical Commissioners that the parish is withheld from the precentor, although mentioned in his titles. The ruins of two ancient churches still remain, of which that situated at the eastern extremity of the island appears to have been the principal.

KILDYSART

KILDYSART, or KILLADYSERT, a post-town and parish, in the barony of CLONDERLAW, county of CLARE, and province of MUNSTER, 12 miles (S. S. W.) from Ennis, and 122 miles (S. W.) from Dublin, at the confluence of the rivers Shannon and Fergus, and on the old mail road from Ennis to Kilrush; containing 4501 inhabitants, and comprising 9485 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, which are chiefly in tillage. Sea-weed and sand are in general use for manure, and the state of agriculture is gradually improving: there is a considerable portion of bog. Culm exists in some places and is partially worked; and good building stone, which is also used for flagging, is procured. Off the western shore of the Fergus, and within the limits of the parish, are the islands Canon (which is described under its own head), Corcory, Ennistubret, Innisherk, Low and Horse, all of which are inhabited by one or Inore families. Corcory contains 103 plantation acres of excellent land, mostly in pasture; Ennistubret, 80 acres of similar land; Innisherk, 18 acres; Low, 85 acres, and Horse, 85 acres; the two last are chiefly in tillage. The town, which contains about 60 houses, is irregularly built, but has latterly been much improved:a steam-boat passes daily either to or from Limerick. It has a market on Wednesday under a patent, and it is in contemplation of Bindon Scott, Esq., to build a market-house. Fairs are held on May 22nd, July 15th, Aug. 27th, and Oct. 11th. Petty sessions are held every alternate Monday; and a court for the manor of Crovreahan is held by Lord Egremont's seneschal, about once in six weeks, in which small debts are recoverable. Here is a chief station of the constabulary police, who have a substantial barrack. Application has been made to the Board of Public Works for aid in the erection of a pier at Carriginriree, and to improve the quay near Kildysart: from the latter, pigs, corn, butter, and other agricultural produce are sent to Limerick in boats; and building materials, grocery, &c., are brought in return: vessels of 105 tons have been freighted at this quay. The gentlemen's seats are Ballyartney, the residence of R. Barclay, Esq.; Ross Hill, of Major Ross Lewin; Shore Park, of D. O'Grady, Esq.; Lanesborough, of T. R. Lewin, Esq.; Crowhan, of J. O'Donnell, Esq.; Ballylane Lodge, of W. Coppinger, Esq.; and Tonlagee, of the Finucane family. Part of the beautifully situated demesne of Cahircon, the seat of Bindon Scott, Esq., also extends into this parish, from the more elevated parts of which extensive views are obtained of the rivers Fergus and Shannon, and of the numerous islands by which the former is studded at its confluence with the latter. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Killaloe, united to the vicarage of Kilchrist and the rectory of Kilfarboy, and constituting the union of Kildysart, in the patronage of the Earl of Egremont: the rectory is impropriate in Bindon Scott, Esq. The tithes amount to £415. 7. 8-., of which £276. 18. 5. is payable to the impropriator, and the remainder to the vicar. The church, a small plain building, was erected in 1812, for which the late Board of First Fruits gave £500: it is at present in a dilapidated state, and is about to be repaired or rebuilt, the Ecclesiastical Commissioners having recently granted £122 for that purpose. The glebe-house is a substantial building, for the erection of which the late Board of First Fruits gave £400 and lent £240: the glebe comprises about 12 acres. In the R. C. divisions this parish gives name to a union or district, which also comprises the parish of Kilfedane, and contains the chapels of Kildysart, Coulmeen (or Rockmount) and Cranny bridge: the first is a handsome and spacious building of recent erection, and contains a well executed altar-piece: the other chapels are in the parish of Kilfedane. About 230 children are educated in two private schools; and a public school has been lately erected in the town. The ruins of the old church still remain in the burial-ground near the shore, and there are many Danish forts and tumuli in the parish. A monastery is said to have been founded on Low Island by St. Senan of Inniscattery, before St. Patrick came into Munster; and St. Moronoc is said to have had a cell here at the time of St. Senan's death, called "the Penitentiary of Inisluaidhe."


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021