MONART, an ecclesiastical district, in the barony of SCARAWALSH, county of WEXFORD, and province of LEINSTER, 2 miles (N. W.) from Enniscorthy, on the road to Kilkenny ; containing 3384 inhabitants. It is situated on a stream called the Urrin, which falls into the Slaney below Enniscorthy ; and comprises 8834 Statute acres. The soil is chiefly of a light shingly nature ; limestone gravel is found on the banks of the Slaney, and a kind of slaty stone abounds, which is used for building: the state of agriculture is improving. The village of Forge, on the Urrin, derives its name from an extensive forge formerly established there, which appears by an ancient document to have belonged, in 1560, to Col. Robt. Phayre, and was then employed in the manufacture of sword blades. In 1818 the Works Were converted into a distillery by Andrew Jameson, Esq., who, in the course of 12 years, expended upwards of £25,000 on the establishment, and in 1830 it produced 55,594 gallons of spirits ; it has been since discontinued, and part of it converted into a flour-mill, capable of producing nearly 40,000 barrels annually, and for working which there is a copious supply of water. A Mining Company is employed at Caim in search of a lead mine, which is expected to be profitable A fair is held on Aug. 16th at Scarawalsh Bridge, on the Slaney, chiefly for lambs. The seats are Monart House, the residence of E. Rogers Cookman, Esq., a handsome mansion pleasantly situated on a gentle eminence above the Urrin, in a highly improved and richly wooded demesne ; Killoughram, of R. Phaire, Esq., surrounded by an extensive oak coppice, called Killoughram Wood ; Munfin, of Edw. Cary, Esq., beautifully situated on the margin of the Slaney, sheltered by a richly Wooded eminence, and commanding an extensive view of the luxuriant scenery on the banks of the river ; Kiltra, of Capt. Brenan ; Farmley, of Capt. Richards ; Urrinsfort, of Mr. Hill ; Oak Hall, of Mr. Sutton ; and Daphne, the property of Robt. Phaire, Esq. The district was formed in 1805, by separating 39 townlands from the parish of Templeshanbo, which have been recently reduced to 33 by the detachment of six to form part of the new district parish of Ballycarney. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the diocese of Ferns, and in the patronage of the rector of Templeshanbo, for the support of which the tithes of three of the above-mentioned townlands, amounting to £101. 10. 9. are appropriated. The glebe-house is a neat building, towards the erection of which the late Board of First Fruits gave £382, in 1807 ; and there is a glebe of about 17 acres. The church, or chapel of ease, is a neat cruciform structure, erected in 1805 by aid of a gift of £500, and enlarged in 1831 by aid of a loan of £500, from the same Board ; and t.he Ecclesiastical Commissioners have lately granted a sum for its repair. In the R. C. divisions it is partly included in each of the districts of Marshalstown and Ballindaggan, and contains the chapels of Marshalstown, Castledockrill, Caim, and Newtown. Near the church is the parochial school built by the Association for Discountenancing Vice, and partly supported by it and partly by subscription. A school has been lately established near the chapel at Marshalstown, and temporary schools are held during the summer in the other chapels. At Farmly are two of the ancient raths or mounds usually attributed to the Danes.