All Lewis entries for Kilturk



Kilturk

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Wexford

KILTURK

KILTURK, a parish, in the barony of BARGY, county of WEXFORD, andprovince of LEINSTER, 9 miles (S. by W.) from Wexford, on the road to Kilmore ; containing 817 inhabitants, This parish is situated at the western extremity of the lake of Tacumshane, and extends to the sea, by which it is bounded on the south. It comprises 1954 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and chiefly under tillage ; the system of agriculture is in that improved state which generally prevails in this part of the country ; sea-weed, which is found in abundance, is the principal manure. The chief seats are Ballyhealy, the residence of Higatt Tench, Esq. ; Woodville, of the Rev. R. King ; and Sweetbriar Lodge, of Mr. J. Wilson. The lake is frequented by an abundance of wild ducks and other wild fowl. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Ferns, forming part of the union of Tomhaggard ; the rectory is impropriate in Lord Robert Tottenham. The tithes amount to £188. 14. 7., of which £108. 1. is payable to the impropriator. and £80. 13. 7. to the vicar. The church is a neat edifice ; it had originally a tower, which fell down soon after its erection. In the R. C. divisions it is part of the union or district of Kilmore. A small school is partly supported by Mr. Day, who gives the use of the school-house rent-free. There are some remains of a castle originally of considerable extent, now consisting only of portions of two of the towers ; the mound by which it was surrounded was levelled about 30 years since, and is now under cultivation.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021