All entries for Kilrane



Kilrane

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Wexford

KILRANE

KILRANE, a parish, in the barony of FORTH, county of WEXFORD, and province of LEINSTER, 8 miles (S. E.) from Wexford ; containing 714 inhabitants. It is situated on the eastern coast and partly on the bay of Roslare, outside Wexford harbour ; and comprises 1962 statute acres, under an improving system of cultivation, in which sea weed is used as a manure : good building stone is obtained at Ballyhire. The principal seats are Ballytrent, the residence of Mrs. Redmond ; Ballycronigan, the property of J. Howlin, Esq. ; and Ballyhire, of Miss Edwards. Some of the inhabitants are employed in the herring fishery, and during the summer in the fishery off the Tuscar rock. On this rock, which lies in St. George's channel, about 7 miles (E. S. E.) from Greenore Point, is a lighthouse, 101 feet high, erected in 1815 by the Ballast corporation : it has a revolving light of three faces, two of which are bright and the third deep red ; and in foggy weather bells are rung by the same machinery that causes the lights to revolve. Greenore Point is in lat. 52? 14' 20" (N.), and lon. 6? 12' (W.) : near it are two small rocks. At Ballygeary is a coast-guard station, which is included in the Wexford district. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Ferns, forming part of the union of Kilscoran, or Tacumshane, and of the corps of the chancellorship of Ferns cathedral ; the rectory forms the corps of the prebend of Kilrane, and is in the gift of the bishop. The tithes amount to #177. 7. 8., of which #120 is payable to the prebendary, and #57. 7. 8?. to the vicar. There are two glebes, comprising nearly seven acres. In the R. C. divisions it is in the union or district of Tagoat, and has a neat chapel. A school, in which about 80 children are educated, was built by the R. C. priest ; and there is a private school, in which are about 30. At Ballytrent is an ancient Danish rath, with a double mound, Which has been lately converted into a garden and shrubbery.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2019