All Lewis entries for Ballycarney



Ballycarney

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Wexford

BALLYCARNEY

BALLYCARNEY, a district parish, in the barony of SCARAWALSH, county of WEXFORD, and province of MUNSTER, 3 miles (W. by S.) from Ferns: the population is returned with the parishes of Ferns, Templeshambo, and Monart, out of which this district parish has been recently formed. The village, which is in the parish of Ferns, is situated on the eastern bank of the Slaney, over which is a neat stone bridge, and on the road from Enniscorthy to Newtownbarry: it has a penny post from Ferns, and is a constabulary police station. The district church is a handsome structure in the later English style of architecture, recently erected: the living is a perpetual curacy, in the diocese of Ferns, and in the patronage of the Rectors of Ferns andTempleshambo.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2020