All Lewis entries for Tullyniskan



Tullyniskan

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Tyrone

COAL ISLAND

COAL ISLAND, a post-town, partly in the parishes of DONOGHENRY and CLONOE, but chiefly in that of TULLYNISKAN, barony of DUNGANNON, county of TYRONE, and province of ULSTER, 3 miles (N. E.) from Dungannon : the population is returned with the respective parishes. This flourishing trading village is situated in the centre of the Tyrone coal field, on the roads from Dungannon to Ballinderry, and from Lurgan to Stewartstown : it comprises 184 houses, which are generally well built with stone and covered with slate, and has a sub-post-office to Dungannon. The coal district extends from Mullaghmoyle, on the north, to Dungannon on the south, a distance of six miles, with an average breadth of two. Great difficulty is found in working it, owing to the softness of the bed on which it rests, and the dangerous state of the roof, unless expensively propped. At present the mining operations are confined to Drumglass, in the neighbourhood of Dungannon, and the vicinity of Coal Island : the collieries at the latter place are on a small scale, and principally worked by manual labour, but are moderately profitable. Coal Island originated in the formation of the Tyrone canal, which was begun by Government in 1744, and was intended to intersect the entire coal field of Tyrone, but was not carried beyond this place. The canal is not more than three miles in length from the river Blackwater, which it joins near Lough Neagh, to Coal Island, but it has been commenced and partially completed in several places westward ; bridges have been erected over the line ; an aqueduct of three large arches was to have conveyed it over the Terren ; and a rail-road was to have connected it with some of the minor collieries, for which purpose a viaduct, here called "the Dry Hurry," was thrown over the Cooks-town road, two miles from Dungannon. All these edifices are of hewn freestone, handsomely finished and in good preservation ; but in many places the canal is filled up and cultivated, so that in a few years the line will not be traceable. This is now a place of considerable trade, and has 35 large lighters, or barges, which frequently make coasting voyages to Dublin, and sometimes across the channel to Scotland. Extensive iron-works, forges, and plating-mills were erected here in 1831, and there are others at Oghran and New Mills for the manufacture of spades, edge-tools, &c. Here is also an extensive establishment for the manufacture of fire-bricks and crucibles, commenced in 1834 by two gentlemen from Stourbridge, in Worcestershire. Most of the manufactured articles are sent to London or Liverpool. Near this is a pottery, and there is also a flour-mill, where 2000 tons of wheat are annually ground for the Belfast market. Bleach-greens have been established at Derryvale, Terren Hill, and New Mills, where 20,000 pieces of linen are annually finished for the English market. Several warehouses, granaries, yards, and other conveniences for carrying on an extensive trade are placed round a small but convenient basin , and in the village and its vicinity are the residences of several wealthy merchants. The exports are coal, spades, shovels, fire-bricks, fire-clay, crucibles, earthen-ware, linen cloth, wheat, oats, flour, &c. : the imports are timber, deals, iron, salt, slates, glass, &c. The village being in three parishes, has three churches within two miles of it, and a district church is about to be erected for its use. The R. C. chapel for the parish of Donoghenry is not far distant.

COGLANSTOWN.-See TULLY.

NEWMILLS

NEWMILLS, a village, in the parish of TULLANISKIN, barony of DUNGANNON, county of TYRONE, and province of ULSTER, 3 miles (N. N. E.) from Dungannon, on the road to Cookstown ; containing 105 inhabitants. It derives its name (formerly Tullaniskin) from two corn-mills erected here, in 1758, by the proprietor of the adjoining lands ; and in 1831 comprised 20 houses, most of which are indifferently built. Here is the parochial church, a large and handsome edifice, in the later English style, with a square embattled tower; and nearly adjoining it is the parochial school, with a residence for the master, endowed with a portion of the glebe land, comprising one acre. The ruins of the ancient church adjoin the present edifice.-See TULLANISKIN.

TULLANISKEN

TULLANISKEN, a parish, in the barony of DUNGANNON, county of TYRONE, and province of ULSTER, on the road from Dungannon to Stewartstown, and on the Tyrone canal ; containing, with the post-town of Coal-Island (which see), 4102 inhabitants. This parish comprises, according to the Ordnance survey, 446 1- Statute acres, of which 26 are under water ; the surface is remarkably undulating and the soil various ; that part which is under tillage is generally productive of good corn crops and flax. At Derryvale, Torren Hill, and New Mills, are large greens for bleaching linen cloth, where about 20,000 pieces are annually finished, chiefly for the English markets. At Coal Island, Oghran, and New Mills, are also extensive iron-works, forges, and plating-mills, for the manufacture of spades, shovels, edge-tools, &c. At Coal Island also is a very large establishment for the manufacture of fire-bricks, pots for glass-houses, and crucibles, which was established in 1834 by two English gentlemen from Stourbridge : the greater part of the goods manufactured here, are for London, Liverpool and other principal manufacturing towns in Lancashire. Here are also extensive coal-works, earth-enware manufactories, and many other trades dependent on the above, all in full operation and productive of great benefit to this part of the country. The surrounding scenery is interesting and the land is well planted. Among the principal seats are Lisdhue, the residence of the Hon. A. G. Steuart ; Bloomhill, of Jas. Scott, Esq. ; Drumreagh, of W. Lowry, Esq. ; Torren Hill, of J. S. Murray, Esq. ; Beech Grove, of J. Pike, Esq. ; Derryvale, of J. Davis, Esq. ; and Tullanisken glebe, of the Rev. Robert Kingsmore.

The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Armagh, and in the patronage of the Lord-Primate ; the tithes amount to £200. The glebe-house was built about 1791, at a cost of £813 British, of which £100 was a gift from the late Board of First Fruits. The old church was destroyed in the war of 1641 ; and in the 15th of Chas. II. this parish was united to that of Drumglass, and Tullanisken church remained in ruins until 1792, when Primate Robinson dissolved the union and erected the present church at New Mills, near the ancient one ; it is in the later English style, with an embattled square tower, and was built at a cost of £553 British, of which £461 was a gift from the before-mentioned Board, £35 was raised by parochial assessment, and the residue by private subscription : In 1823 a gallery was added at an expense of £73, of which £40 was subscribed by individuals, the residue being raised by parochial assessment. In the R. C. divisions the parish is one of .three forming the union or district of Drumglass, and has one small chapel. The parochial schools, at New Mills, near the church, are aided by the rector ; the school-house was built in 1821, with a residence for the master, and is endowed with an acre of land from the glebe. A school at Creenagh is aided by an annual donation from Lord Castlesteuart : in these schools are about 180 children. There are also a school at Edendork and a private school. Near Lake Farlough is an ancient mansion named after it, distinguished as occupying the site of Tyrone's favourite camp ; and a little westward from Tullanisken church, on the northern bank of the Torren, is a large and well-fortified encampment thrown up by Turlogh O'Nial. In the churchyard is a venerable ash tree, measuring 29 feet in circumference ; and near Drumrea is a valuable sulphureous spring, much resorted to and highly beneficial in scorbutic cases. Ducart, the celebrated engineer, resided for some years in this parish, and under his direction the aqueducts, bridges, &c., were constructed, by the Board of Inland Navigation.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021