All Lewis entries for Stamullin



Stamullin

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Meath

STAMULLEN

STAMULLEN, a parish, in the barony of UPPER DULEEK, county of MEATH, and province of LEINSTER, 5- miles (S. by E.) from Drogheda, on the road by Balbriggan to Dublin ; containing 1322 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated on the eastern coast, comprises 4285- statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act : the land is chiefly under tillage, and in a state of profitable cultivation ; limestone is quarried for agricultural and other uses, and there is a due proportion of bog. The principal seats are Gormanston Castle, the residence of Viscount Gormanston, a spacious and lofty structure, with a domestic chapel attached, and situated in an extensive and richly embellished demesne ; Harbourstown, of M. O'Farrell Caddell, Esq., a handsome modern mansion with a demesne comprising more than 400 acres tastefully laid out and well planted, and commanding an extensive view from the summit of a tower within the grounds, which forms a conspicuous landmark to mariners ; Stedalt, of W. Walsh, Esq., pleasantly situated in a demesne of 230 acres ; and Delvin Lodge, of - Shaw, Esq., beautifully situated on the banks of the river Delvin, which here separates the parish from the county of Dublin. The village is pleasantly situated, and in the immediate neighbourhood are numerous handsome cottages. Off the coast are the Cargee rocks, which are dry at half ebb, and on which a beacon is placed ; the coast comprehending the shores of Meath and Louth, from this place to Carling ford lough, is for the greater part a broad shallow strand free from shoals or other obstructions. Petty sessions are held for the district on alternate Wednesdays at Julianstown. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Meath, forming part of the union of Julianstown ; the rectory is impropriate in Capt. Geo. Pepper. The tithes amount to £425, of which £350 is payable to the impropriator and £75 to the vicar ; the glebe comprises about four acres, valued at £27. 19. per annum. In the R. C. divisions the parish is the head of a union or district, comprising also the parishes of Julianstown, Ballygarth, and Moorechurch, in which are three chapels ; the chapel in the village of Stamullen is a handsome modern edifice, with an altar of Sienna marble, the gift of Lord Gormanston, who also presented a fine painting of the Crucifixion for the altar-piece, and contributed largely towards the erection of the building. About 90 children are instructed in two public schools, supported by Lord Gormanston and Mr. Caddell, and there is a dispensary. There are some remains of the ancient church, the cemetery of which is the burial-place of the Preston family, ancestors of Viscount Gormanston, who takes his title from this estate.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2020