BALLYMACARTHY, a village, in the parish of KILMALODA, Eastern Division of the barony of EAST CARBERY, county of CORK, and province of MUNSTER. 3 miles (E.) from Clonakilty; containing 167 inhabitants. During the disturbances of 1798 this place was the scene of an obstinate engagement between a party of the insurgent forces and some companies of the Westmeath militia, which would have terminated in the defeat of the latter, but for the arrival of the Caithness legion from Bandon, which came very opportunely to their aid. The village is situated on the road from Bandon to Clonakilty, and consists of 32 houses, some of which are large and well built: the new road connecting these two towns here crosses the old line. Close adjoining are the extensive mills of Messrs. Swete and Co., in which more than 8000 barrels of wheat are annually ground into flour for the supply of the neighbouring towns.-See KILMALODA.
KILMALOODA, a parish, in the Eastern Division of the barony of EAST CARBERY, county of CORK, and province of MUNSTER, 6- miles (S. S. W.) from Bandon, on the road to Clonakilty ; containing 3317 inhabitants. It comprises 6681 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at £4014 per annum, besides 298 acres at Clongough, which are tithe-free. The soil is in general light, being based on a substratum of clay-slate: four-fifths of the land are cultivated under the old system, and the remainder consists of rough pasture and furze brakes. Near Monteen and Skeaf are some veins of copper ore, and at Ballyscarthy is a large flour-mill. The principal seats are Kilmolodey House, the residence of Sampson Beamish, Esq. ; Skeaf House, of W. Austin, Esq. ; Skeaf, of Mrs. Roberts ; and the glebe-house, of the Rev. T. Walker. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Ross, and in the patronage of the Rev. T. Walker: the tithes amount to £675. Here is a glebe-house, for the erection of which the late Board of First Fruits, in 1813, gave £100 and lent £1500 ; the glebe comprises 18 acres. The church, a large and neat edifice with a lofty square tower, was built in 1795. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Timoleague, and has a large plain chapel at Clongough. There is a parochial school, which was built and is chiefly supported by the rector, in which about 40 children are educated ; also three private schools in which about 160 are educated, and a Sunday school under the rector's superintendence. To the west of the church are the ruins of Monteen castle, built by the Mc Carthys in 1346 ; and at Clongough are the picturesque remains of an abbey. - See BALLYMACARTHY.