All Lewis entries for Kildemock



Kildemock

More information on Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)



Accompanying Lewis map for Louth


KILDEMOCK

KILDEMOCK, or KILDERNOCK, a parish, in the barony of ARDEE, county of LOUTH, and province of LEINSTER, 1 mile (S. S. E.) from Ardee, on the road from that place to Drogheda; containing 996 inhabitants. According to the Ordnance survey it comprises 3246 statute acres, of which 2754 are applotted under the tithe act. The land is principally under tiliage, with no waste or bog; there is a good limestone quarry. Drakestown is the seat of N. Manning, Esq. There is a constabulary police station at that place. The parish is in the diocese of Armagh, and is a rectory, forming part of the union of Ardee: the tithes amount to #200. The glebe-house of the union, built in 1781, at an expense of #1010. 1. 6., is situated here; the glebe comprises 40 acres, valued at #120 per annum. In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Ardee, and has a handsome chapel at Drakestown. About 360 children are educated in two public schools, one of which is supported by the rector. The old church is in ruins.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2020