All entries for Clogher



Clogher

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Louth

CLOGHER

CLOGHER, or KLLCLOGHER, a parish, in the barony of FERRARD, county of LOUTH, and province of LEINSTER, 6? miles (N. E.) from Drogheda ; containing 1392 inhabitants. This place, which was anciently called Kilfinnabhoir, was distinguished, in the earliest ages of Christianity in Ireland, by the foundation of a religious establishment, of which St. Nectan, nephew of St. Patrick, was abbot or bishop. It is situated on the eastern coast ; and the village, which is about half a mile to the west of Clogher Head, contains about SO houses and 592 inhabitants, who are chiefly engaged in the fishery, which employs seven smacks from 25 to 40 tons burden each, and 20 row boats. On the north side of Clogher Head is a small cove or dock, partly natural and partly excavated, to which a passage for boats has been cut through the beach. It is much frequented by fishing vessels, on account of its affording shelter from all winds but the north-east ; it was much improved by the late Wallop Brabazon, Esq., and might be made one of the best safety harbours in the kingdom. On the south side of the promontory a broad strand extends four miles to the mouth of the Boyne ; and to the north of the village, stretching to Dunany Point, is a sandy bay with low reefs, of which one, nearly in the centre, called Cargee, is covered at high water. At Clogher Head is a coast-guard station, one of the six that constitute the Dundalk district, The parish contains, according to the Ordnance survey, 186 13/4 statute acres, and is principally under tillage ; and there is no waste land. The principal seat is Glaspistole House, the residence of J. Markey, Esq. It is a rectory arid vicarage, in the diocese of Armagh, and is part of the union of Termonfeckan : the tithes amount to #98. In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Rathdrummin, and has a neat chapel at Hackett's Cross, with a national school adjoining. There are also a school aided by Capt. Hanfield, and a small hedge school. Near Mr. Markey's seat are the ruins of an ancient castle, consisting principally of a square tower, and at the village of Clogher are the ruins of the old church.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2019