All entries for Kilferagh



Kilferagh

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Kilkenny

KILFEARA

KILFEARA, a parish, in the barony of SHILLELOGHER, county of KILKENNY, and province of LEINSTER, 2? miles (S. E. by S.) from Kilkenny, on the river Nore; containing 58 inhabitants. Here is a constabulary police station. Kilfeara is the seat of H. Ryan, Esq., and Sheestown, of J. Shee, Esq.; in the demesne of the latter is a villa, the property and occasional residence of J. Power O'Shee, Esq. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Ossory, forming part of the union of Burnchurch; the rectory is impropriate in Lady Tynte Caldwell, to whom the whole of the tithes, amounting to #32. 6. 1., are paid. In the demesne of Sheestown are the ruins of an ancient church, which is the burial- place of the Shee family.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2019