All entries for Painestown



Painestown

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Kildare

PAINSTOWN

PAINSTOWN, a parish, partly in the barony of KILKEA and MOONE, county of KILDARE, but chiefly in the barony and county of CARLOW, and province of LEINSTER, 1? mile (N.) from Carlow, on the road to Dublin and Athy, and on the river Barrow ; containing 177 inhabitants, This parish comprises 2232 statute acres, under a highly improved system of agriculture ; there is no bog. The Barrow navigation affords great facility for the transmission of goods to Waterford and Dublin. Oak Park, the seat of Col. Bruen, is more particularly noticed in the article on the town of Carlow. The living is an impropriate cure, in the diocese of Leighlin, and in the patronage of the Bishop : the rectory is appropriate to the dean and chapter of Leighlin, The tithe amount to #89. 0. 0?., of which #59. 6. 8. is payable to the dean and chapter, and #29. 13. 4?. to the impropriate curate, Divine service is performed in a private house licensed for the purpose. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Carlow. Here is a school, supported by Col. Bruen. There are ruins of a church and a burial-ground, on the townland of Painstown ; and the ruins of a church at Duganstown.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2018