All Lewis entries for Addergoole



Addergoole

More information on Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)



Accompanying Lewis map for Galway


ADREGOOLE

ADREGOOLE, or ADDERGOOLE, a parish, in the barony of DUNMORE, county of GALWAY, and province of CONNAUGHT, 4 miles (W.) from Dunmore, on the river Clare, and on the road from Dunmore to Castlebar; containing 2842 inhabitants. A constabulary police force has been stationed here; and petty sessions are held every alternate week. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Tuam, and forms part of the union of Tuam; the rectory is appropriate partly to the deanery and partly to the archdeaconry of Tuam. The tithes amount to #137. 8. 2?., of which #103. 1. 1?. is payable to the dean and archdeacon, and #34. 7. 1. to the incumbent. At Kilconly there is a chapel of ease. In the R. C. divisions the parish is the head of a union or district, comprising also that of Liskeevy; the chapel, a large slated building recently erected, is situated at Milltown. There are three pay schools, in which are about 170 boys and 60 girls.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2020