All Lewis entries for Loughinisland



Loughinisland

More information on Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)



Accompanying Lewis map for Down


ANADORN

ANADORN, a village, in the parish of LOUGHAM ISLAND, barony of KINELEARTY, county of DOWN, and province of ULSTER, 3 miles (N.) from Clough; containing 93 inhabitants. This place, with an extensive surrounding district, formerly belonged to the ancient and powerful family of the McCartans, who had a castle here, situated on an eminence, or mound, now called Castlehill; but McCartan having joined in the rebellion of the Earl of Tyrone, his estates became forfeited to the crown. The village is situated on the road from Ballynahinch and Hillsborough to Downpatrick: it appears to have been much neglected, but it has been recently purchased by Col. Forde, who has already commenced a series of improvements. Fairs are held on May 14th and Nov. 8th.-See LOUGHAM ISLAND.


CLOUGH

CLOUGH, a post-town, in the parish of LOUGHIN-ISLAND, barony of KINELEARTY, county of DOWN, and province of ULSTER, 5 miles (S. W.) from Downpatrick, on the road to Newry, and 68? miles (N. by E.) from Dublin ; containing 309 inhabitants. Here is a constabulary police station, and fairs are held on May 27th, July 5th, Oct. 21st, Nov. 22nd, and Dec. 23rd. In the vicinity are Seaforde House, the splendid mansion of M. Forde Esq. ; Mount Panther, the beautiful seat of J. Reed Allen, Esq. ; and Ardilea, that of the Rev. W. Annesley. Here is a large Presbyterian meeting-house in connection with the Synod of Ulster, but it has been closed several years.-See LOUGHIN-ISLAND.


LOUGHIN-ISLAND

LOUGHIN-ISLAND, a parish, in the barony of KINELEARTY, county of DOWN, and province of ULSTER, on the road from Newry to Downpatrick ; containing, with the post.town of Clough and the villages of Seaford and Anadorn (which see), 6574 inhabitants. The parish, according to the Ordnance survey, comprises 12,485? statute acres, of which 124? are water, and 9767 are applotted under the tithe act ; about one-half of the land is of the richest quality, and of the remainder, with the exception of a small proportion of waste and bog, the greater part is tolerably fertile. There are some quarries of stone, which is used for building and mending the roads ; and near the mountains some very good slate for roofing is obtained. The principal seats are Seaforde House, the splendid mansion and demesne of Col. M. Forde, noticed in the article on Seaforde ; Ardilea, of the Rev. W. Annesley, a handsome residence near Clough ; and Draper Hill, of J. Cromie, Esq., about halfway between Ballynahinch and Castlewilliam. The linen manufacture was established here in 1815 by Mr. Cromie, and not less than 42,000 webs are annually made from English mill-spun yarn, affording employment to more than 3000 persons. The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Down, constituting the corps of the precentorship of the cathedral, and in the patronage of the Bishop : the tithes amount to #550. The church, situated at Seaforde, is a handsome edifice in the Grecian style, with an octagonal spine of wood covered with copper ; it was built in 1720, and has been recently repaired by a grant of #362 from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners ; the approach to it is through a fine avenue of trees. In the R. C. divisions the parish is partly in the union or district of Ballykindlar, and the remainder forms the head of the district of Loughin-Island ; the chapel is a plain building, and there is also a chapel at Drumaroad for the union of Ballykindlar. There is a place of worship at Clough for Presbyterians in connection with the Synod of Ulster, of the third class, and at Seaforde for Presbyterians in connection with the Seceding Synod, of the second class, About 570 children are taught in seven public schools, of which one, for which a house was built by the governors and Col. Forde, at an expense of #600, is supported by the trustees of Erasmus Smith's fund, who pay #30 per ann. to the master, who has also an annual donation from the rector, and a house and garden with two acres of land ; and a female school was built in 1816, and is endowed with #14 per ann. by Col. Forde : in these two schools 95 children are annually clothed by Col. and Lady Harriet Fonde, by whom two other schools are also endowed with #8 per ann. ; and there are two national and three Sunday schools. Mrs. McKenny, in 1832, gave #50 to the poor of Clough, the interest of which is annually divided among them ; and there is an annual fund of #24 for the purchase of blankets to be distributed among the poor in the winter. Near Seaforde are the ruins of Drumcaw church, formerly a separate parish : near it is a perfect circular fort, and at the termination of the townland is a very ancient bridge of one lofty arch over the Moneycarry river. At Clough are the ruins of an old castle within an ancient fort on the summit of a hill commanding a full view of two separate lines of forts, and the whole of Dundrum bay and castle. At Anadorn is a mound, called Castle Hill, on which was the castle of the McCartans, ancient proprietors of the country ; near it is a cairn, 60 yards in circuit, having in it a kistvaen, in which were found calcined bones and ashes. There are some remains of the ancient church with its cemetery, of the old church built in 1547, and of the cell of St. Fynian, afterwards a private chapel and the burial-place of the ancient family of the McCartans,


SEAFORDE

SEAFORDE, a village, in the parish of LOUGHIN ISLAND, barony of KINELEARTY, county of DOWN, and province of ULSTER, 1 mile (N.) from Clough, on the roads leading respectively from Downpatrick to Newry, and from Dundrum to Ballynahinch : the population is returned with the parish. This village, which was anciently called Neaghen, is small but very handsomely built, consisting of one principal street, from the centre of which a smaller street branches off at right angles. At its northern extremity is a very handsome gateway of freestone, consisting of a centre and two side openings ; and near it is a chaste Grecian lodge of freestone, forming an entrance into the extensive demesne of Seaforde, the handsome seat of Col. M. Forde ; the mansion, which is situated in the centre of the parish, was destroyed by fire in 1816, and rebuilt in 1819 in a style of sumptuous elegance ; the demesne, which is finely undulated, comprises 1060 acres, richly planted and embellished with a large and picturesque lake. The manor of Seaforde extends over the whole of the parish, with the exception only of the townland of Clough ; and a court is held every three weeks before the seneschal, in which debts to the amount of #2 are recoverable : petty sessions are also held on alternate Tuesdays, and fairs on March 7th, June 9th, Sept 4th, and Dec. 6th. The parish church, a handsome edifice, is si-tuated in the village ; and there is a place of worship for Presbyterians in connection with the Seceding Synod, of the second class. There are also six handsome almshouses, erected in 1828 by Col. Forde, who endowed them with #60 per ann. for six aged widows; and some schools, the particulars of which are stated in the article on Loughin-Island, which see.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2020