All Lewis entries for Carrigdownane



Carrigdownane

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Cork

CARRIGDOWNANE

CARRIGDOWNANE, or CARRIGDOWNIG, a parish, in the barony of FERMOY, county of CORK, and province of MUNSTER, 5 miles (S. W.) from Mitchelstown; containing 219 inhabitants. This small parish, which is situated on the river Funcheon, and on the road from Kildorrery to Fermoy, comprises 785 statute acres, as assessed to the county rate, and valued at £687 per annum. The land is in general of good quality and chiefly under tillage, but the system of agriculture is in a backward state. Limestone is plentiful, and is quarried for burning into lime, which is the principal manure. Stannard's Grove, the property of the Cotter family, is at present uninhabited. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Cloyne, and in the patronage of the Bishop: the tithes amount to £90. The church is in ruins; and the Protestant parishioners attend the church of Nathlash, a mile distant. There is no glebe-house; the glebe comprises 10 Irish acres. In the H. C. divisions this parish forms part of the union or district of Kildorrery. There are some remains of the ancient parish church.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021