KNOCKBRIDE, a parish, in the barony of CLONKEE, county of CAVAN, and province of ULSTER, 5 miles (N.) from Bailieborough, on the road to Cootehill ; containing 9746 inhabitants, This parish comprises, according to the Ordnance survey, 18,693 statute acres, of which 857 are under water, and 14,216 are applotted under the tithe act: there are about 1500 acres of bog and waste, the remainder being good arable and pasture land. There is a large oatmeal-mill. A court is held monthly at Corronary by the seneschal of the manor, for the recovery of debts under 40s. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Kilmore, and in the patronage of the Bishop ; the tithes amount to £350. The glebe-house is situated near the church ; the glebe comprises 188 acres. The church, a small but very neat edifice in good repair, was built by a gift of £100 and a loan of £550 from the late Board of First Fruits, in 1820. The R. C. parish is co-extensive with that of the Established Church ; there are two chapels, one a good substantial edifice, erected in 1821 ; the other a small thatched building, about to be taken down and rebuilt. There is a place of worship for Presbyterians in connection with the Seceding Synod, of the second class, and one for Wesleyan Methodists. About 130 children are taught in two public schools, of which the parochial school is principally supported by the rector, and there are 11 private schools, in which are about 670 children.