All Lewis entries for Kilbride



Kilbride

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Cavan

KILBRIDE

KILBRIDE, or CASTLECORR, a parish, partly in the barony of DEMIFORE, county of MEATH, and province of LEINSTER, but chiefly in the barony of CLONMAHON, county of CAVAN, and province of ULSTER, on the road from Mount-Nugent to Oldcastle; containing, with the post-town of Mount-Nugent, 4658 inhabitants. It comprises 8777 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, of which about three-fifths are arable, a tenth bog, and the remainder pasture: limestone is abundant. The principal seats are Bobsgrove, the residence of C. E. J. Nugent, Esq.; Roebuck, of W. Reilly, Esq.; and Castlecorr, of W. Webb, Esq. The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Meath, the presentation to which is in dispute between the Crown and Lord Dunsany: the tithes amount to £415. 9. 9. The church was built in 1809, and has been recently repaired, for which the Ecclesiastical Commissioners granted £157. The glebe. house is supposed to have been erected before the Reformation; the glebe comprises 22 acres. In the R. C. divisions this parish forms part of the union or district of Killeagh and Kilbride, and has a chapel at Mount-Nugent. About 70 children are educated in a public school, for which the house and an acre of land were given by Mr. Nugent; and about 350 children are taught in five private schools.-See MOUNT-NUGENT.

MOUNT-NUGENT

MOUNT-NUGENT, or DALYSBRIDGE, a post-town, in the parish of KILBRIDE, barony of CLONMAHON, county of CAVAN, and province of ULSTER, 11 miles (S. S. E.) from Cavan, and 50? (N. W. by W.) from Dublin, on the road from Oldcastle to Granard ; containing 171 inhabitants. It consists of 29 houses, the parish church, a R. C. chapel, and a school on Erasmus Smith's foundation. Petty sessions are held here every third Saturday ; and there is a constabulary police station. Fairs are held on June 1st and Oct. 21st. It is near Lough Sheelin, which is very large, extending to Finae, in Westmeath, where it communicates with Lough Inny, through which its waters find their way to the Shannon : in this lake are several small islands, on one of which are the ruins of a church and castle. Contiguous to its shores, at Kilrogy, near Glan, is the seat of Mrs. Dallas ; and on its northern side are several gentlemen's residences, among which are Arley, the beautiful cottage of Lord Farnham ; and Fortland, the residence of T. Gorlin, Esq. On the opposite shore the ground is elevated and well planted ; and the view of the whole, comprehending the ruins of Ross castle, is bounded by hills of considerable magnitude, among which the most remarkable is the Ben of Fore, above the village of that name, in the county of Westmeath. The lake covers 2000 Irish acres, being 8 Irish miles in length, and, in parts, 2 or 3 wide.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021