All Lewis entries for Castlerahan



Castlerahan

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Cavan

BALLYJAMESDUFF

BALLYJAMESDUFF, a market and post-town, and a district parish, in the barony of CASTLERAHAN, county of CAVAN, and province of ULSTER, 8- miles (S. E.) from Cavan, and 44- miles (N. W. by W.) from Dublin; containing 3227 inhabitants, of which number, 863 are in the town. The town is situated on the old mail coach road from Virginia to Cavan, and consists of five streets, containing together 150 houses. The market is on Tuesday, and is amply supplied; and fairs are held on Feb. 4th, March 8th, April 16th, May 7th, June 10th, July 17th, Aug. 15th, Sept. 2nd, Oct. 26th, Nov. 29th, and Dec. 23rd. Here is a constabulary police station, and petty sessions are held. The parish was created in 1831, by disuniting nine townlands from the parish of Castleraghan five from that of Denn, two from Lurgan, and four from the parish of Kildrumferton. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the diocese of Kilmore, and in the patronage of the several Incumbents of the above parishes, who present in rotation: the stipend of the perpetual curate is £80 per annum, towards which £30 is contributed by the incumbent of Castleraghan, £20 by the incumbent of Kildrumferton, and £15 each by the incumbents of Denn and Lurgan. The church is a plain edifice, erected in 1834 by aid of a grant of £900 from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, and subscriptions amounting to £200. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Castleraghan and Munterconnaught; the chapel is a spacious building. There is a place of worship for Presbyterians in connection with the Synod of Ulster, and of the third class; also two for Wesleyan Methodists. A school at Remonan is supported by Lord Farnham, and another at Ballyjamesduff is aided by private subscriptions: about 140 boys and 150 girls are instructed in these schools; and there are three pay schools, situated respectively at Rawson, Lackenmore, and Lackenduff, in which are about 180 boys and 90 girls.

CASTLERAIIAN

CASTLERAHAN, a parish, in the barony of CASTLERAHAN, county of CAVAN, and province of ULSTER ; containing, with the post-town of Ballyjamesduff, 6960 inhabitants, This parish is situated on the road from Virginia to Mount-Nugent, and comprises, according to the Ordnance survey, 10,315 statute acres (including 102- in Lough Ramor), of which 9722 are applotted under the tithe act. Contiguous to the town is a small lake, near which a shaft was sunk some few years since, and indications of coal were discovered. The gentlemen's seats are Fort Frederick, the residence of R. Scott, Esq., and Mount Prospect, of T. Nugent, Esq. Since the census of 1831, nine townlands have been separated from this parish to form, with portions of other parishes, the district parish of Ballyjamesduff, which see. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Kilmore, and in the patronage of the Bishop : the tithes amount to £304. 1. 10-. The church, a small ancient building, is in very indifferent repair. The glebe-house, a handsome residence, was rebuilt in 1818, by aid of a gift of £100 and a loan of £1500 from the late Board of First Fruits : the glebe comprises 350 acres. In the R. C. divisions this parish is the head of a union or district, comprising also the parishes of Munterconnaught and Ballyjarnesduff. The chapel, a large handsome edifice, erected in 1834, at an expense of £2000, is situated in the townland of Cormeen. There is a place of worship for Presbyterians in connection with the Synod of Ulster, of the third class. The parochial school is supported by subscription aided by an annual donation of £10 from the rector ; a school at Clonkuffe has an endowment of two acres of land by the Bishop. and is aided by subscription ; and there is a school at Ennagh, supported by Miss Sankee. In these schools about 160 boys and 60 girls are instructed ; and there are four pay schools, in which are about 220 boys and 100 girls. Near Ballyjamesduff (which see) are two Danish raths.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2020