All Lewis entries for Ballintemple



Ballintemple

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Cavan

BALLINAGH

BALLINAGH, a market-town, partly in the parish of BALLINTEMPLE, but chiefly in that of KILMORE, barony of CLONMAHON, county of CAVAN, and province of ULSTER, 4 miles (S. W.) from Cavan, on the road to Granard; containing 702 inhabitants. This town was entirely destroyed by fire in a disturbance which took place in 1794; it consists at present of two streets crossing each other at right angles, and in 1831 contained 135 houses, the greater part of which are thatched, and of which three only are in the parish of Ballintemple. The market is on Saturday, and is held in a neat plain market-house. Fairs are held on March 31st, June 6th, August 5th, Oct. 3rd, and Dec. 21st. This is a station of the constabulary police; and petty sessions are held every alternate Wednesday. There is a B.. C. chapel; also a good slated school-house, containing on the ground floor a school-room for boys, and on the upper story, one for girls.-See KILMORE.

BALLINTEMPLE

BALLINTEMPLE, a parish, in the barony of CLONMAHON, county of CAVAN, and province of ULSTER, 6- miles (S. by W.) from Cavan, containing, with part of the town of Ballinagh, 4982 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the road from Virginia to Killyshandra, and comprises, according to the Ordnance survey, including 54- under water, l0,657- statute acres, of which 8074 are applotted under the tithe act. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Kilmore, and forms part of the union and corps of the deanery of Kilmore; the rectory is impropriate in the representatives of Richard, Earl of Westmeath. The tithes amount to £259, of which £104 is payable to the impropriators, and the remainder to the vicar. The church was erected in 1821 by aid of a loan of £1200 from the late Board of First Fruits. The glebe comprises 103a. 1r. 29p. of profitable land, valued at £87. 13. 10. per annum. The R. C. parish is co-extensive with that of the Established Church; there are three chapels, called respectively the upper and lower chapels and the chapel of ease. The parochial school and two others afford instruction to about 180 boys and 60 girls; and there are also three private pay schools, in which are about 170 boys and 50 girls.-See BALLINAGH.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021