All Lewis entries for Lisnadill



Lisnadill

More information on Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)



Accompanying Lewis map for Armagh


ARMAGH-BREAGUE

ARMAGH-BREAGUE, a district parish, partly in the barony of ARMAGH, and partly in the barony of LOWER FEWS, county of ARMAGH, and province of ULSTER, 7 miles (S.) from Armagh, on the road from Keady to Newtown-Hamilton; containing 3632 inhabitants, it was formed into a parish under the provisions of an act of the 7th and 8th of Geo. III., cap. 43, by taking three townlands from the parish of Lisnadill, and three from that of Keady, the former principally heath and mountain, and the latter tithe-free; and comprises 9113 statute acres, of which 5000 are arable, and the remainder waste and bog. The mountains abound with clay-slate; and there are also indications of lead and copper ores, but no attempt has yet been made to work either. About two miles from the village is Mountain Lodge, the residence of Hugh Garmany,Esq. At Linen Vale there is an extensive bleach-green, where 20,000 pieces of linen are annually finished for the English markets. The inhabitants are chiefly employed in the weaving of linen and in agricultural pursuits. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the diocese of Armagh, and in the alternate patronage of the Rectors of Armagh and Keady, the former of whom contributes #60 and the latter #40 per annum as a stipend for the curate there is neither glebe-house nor glebe. The church, situated on the summit of one of the Fews mountains, is a small neat edifice, in the early English style; it was built in 1831, at an expense of #600, a gift from the late Board of First Fruits. In the R. C. divisions this parish is one of three that form the union or district of Lisnadill or Ballymacnab, and contains a small chapel at Granemore. In the parochial school are 80 boys and 40 girls; the master has a house and three roods of land rent-free. The school-room, a large and commodious building, was erected by subscription in 1826. There are also a Sunday school for gratuitous instruction, and a hedge school. Lough Aughuagurgan, the source of the river Callan, is in this district; and on the summit of one of the mountains stands the South Meridian Arch belonging to the observatory of Armagh.


LISNADILL

LISNADILL, a parish, partly in the baronies of ARMAGH and UPPER FEWS, but chiefly in that of LOWER FEWS, county of ARMAGH, and province of ULSTER, 2 miles (S. E.) from Armagh, on the road to Newtown-Hamilton ; containing 7699 inhabitants. This parish comprises, according to the Ordnance survey, I8,556? statute acres, of which 4468? are in the barony of Armagh, 5824 in Upper Fews, and 8264 in Lower Fews. The land is remarkably good, and the system of agriculture in a very improved state. Limestone of excellent quality is quarried in several parts of the parish, chiefly for agricultural purposes. The principal seats are Beech Hill, the residence of T. Simpson, Esq. ; Ballyards, of J. Simpson, Esq. ; and Ballier, of J. B. Boyd, Esq. The weaving of linen for the manufacturers and bleachers of the surrounding district affords employment to many of the inhabitants ; and there are two very extensive bleach-greens, in which, on an average, 56,000 pieces are annually finished for the English markets. The living is a rectory and perpetual curacy, in the diocese of Armagh ; the rectory forms part of the union of Armagh, and the perpetual curacy was instituted under the provisions of an act of the 7th of Geo. III. The tithes amount to #650 ; and the stipend of the curate is #100, paid by the rector of Armagh, who is the patron ; the curate has also the glebe-house, a handsome residence built by Primate Robinson, and 64 acres of glebe, purchased by the primate for the endowment of the living. The church is a spacious edifice in the later English style, with a square embattled tower erected by Primate Robinson in 1772, and has the arms of the founder over the entrance. In the R. C. divisions the parish is the head of a union or district called also Ballymacnab and Kileluney, comprising the parishes of Lisnadill and Kilcluney, part of Mullaghbrack, and the district of Armaghbreague ; there are chapels at Ballymacnab and Granemore, and a spacious and handsome chapel is now being erected in the parish. About 650 children are taught in six public schools, of which the parochial school is endowed with 7 acres of land by Primate Robinson, who also built the school-house ; two are partly supported by the rector and curate, and one by Thos. Wilson, Esq. ; there are also two private schools, in which are about 120 children, and five Sunday schools. The ancient church was destroyed in the war of 1641, but its extensive cemetery is still used. At Corran, in 1833, was found a cylindrical case of gold, containing many antique gems and ornaments, among which was a necklace of jet richly carved ; it is now in the museum of J. Corry, Esq., of Armagh.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2020