All Lewis entries for Tickmacrevan



Tickmacrevan

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Antrim

GLENARM

GLENARM, a post-town, in the parish of TICKMACREVAN, barony of UPPER GLENARM, county of ANTRIM, and province of ULSTER, 2 miles (N. W.) from Carrickfergus, and 105- (N. by E.) from Dublin ; containing 880 inhabitants. This town, which has a sub-post-office to Larne and Cushendall, is situated in a deep glen, which opens to the sea, and on the Glenarm river, which here empties itself into the bay of that name, and over which are two bridges. It contains 145 houses, and is said to have been incorporated by a charter of King John, in the 4th year of his reign ; but since the conquest of Ulster it has not exercised any municipal privileges. Glenarm castle was for many years the residence of the MacDonnels, Earls of Antrim, of' whom Randal MacDonnel, Marquess of Antrim, was attainted during the protectorate. It was originally built in 1639, and is now the seat of Edmund McDonnel, Esq., by whom, since his marriage with the Countess of Antrim, the present castle was erected on the site of the former structure, of which very little remains. It is a noble quadrangular pile, flanked at the angles with four large towers embellished with minarets terminating in vanes, and surmounted with stately domes ; the entrance is under a large massive gateway ; the hall is of large dimensions and noble appearance, and the state apartments are spacious, lofty, and magnificent. The demesne is richly planted and beautifully embellished with myrtles and other delicate shrubs ; at a small distance to the south is the great deer-park, formerly enriched with Stately timber, and watered by a mountain torrent, which afterwards flows through the lawn ; and on the left of the road to Larne is the little park, bounded by a succession of precipitous rocks rising from the shore, and forming a bold headland, round which has been carried the Antrim coast road from Larne to Ballycastle, cut through the solid rock, and 10 feet above high water mark at Spring tides, of which a detailed account is given in the article on the county. The town is much resorted to for sea-bathing ; the harbour is small and chiefly frequented by vessels from the opposite coast of Scotland, which bring coal and take back grain, limestone, and other produce. Vessels may ride in safety in the bay within a quarter of a mile from the shore, in five or six fathoms of water. Fairs are held on the 26th of May and October, a chief constabulary police force has been stationed here, and there is also a coast-guard station belonging to the district of Carrickfergus. A court leet and baron for the manor of Glenarm, which is co-extensive with the barony, is held every third week, for the recovery of debts to the amount of £10, in which the proceedings are by attachment and civil bill process. Here is a handsome R. C. chapel, and a good school-house was built in 1829 from the lord-lieutenant's fund. Near the castle are some remains of' an ancient Franciscan monastery, founded in 1465 by Sir Robert Bisset, and of which the site and revenues were, after the dissolution, granted to Alexander Mac Donnel, ancestor of the Earls of Antrim. Between Larne and Glenarm are the ruins of Cairn castle, situated on a rock in the sea ; and near them are the remains of a castle, built by the family of Shaw in 1625.

STRAIDKELLY

STRAIDKELLY, or STRAIGHTKELLY, a village, in the parish of TICKMACREVAN, barony of LOWER GLENARM, county of ANTRIM, and province of ULSTER, 1?. mile (N. W. by N.) from Glenarm, on the old coast road to Belfast ; containing 25 houses, and 172 inhabitants. It is situated on the hill of Cloony, over which the old road passes at an elevation of nearly 200 feet above the level of the sea, while the new military road takes nearly a level course along the shore round the base of the hill, being not more than 15 feet above high water mark.

TEMPLEOUGHTER

TEMPLEOUGHTER, a parish, in the barony of UPPER GLENARM, county of ANTRIM, and province of ULSTER, adjoining the post-town of Glenarm, and on the Glenarm water : the population is returned with the parish of Ticmacrevan, by which this parish is entirely enclosed ; nearly two-thirds of it are barren mountain. It is ecclesiastically consolidated with Ticmacrevan, which see. A small fragment of the ancient church is still remaining on the lawn in front of the castle of Glenarm, near the principal entrance. The church of the union was built about 55 years since by act of council within the limits of this parish, and in a situation convenient for both parishes.

TICKMACREVAN

TICKMACREVAN, or GLENARM, a parish in the barony of UPPER GLENARM, county of ANTRIM, and province of ULSTER ; contain ing, with the parish of Templeoughter, the post-town of Glenarm, and the village of Straidkelly (each separately described), 3859 inhabitants. It comprises, according to the Ordnance survey, an area of 20,506- statute acres ; and is situated on the Glenarm water, which rises in Slemish mountain and discharges itself into the sea at the town, where it is of considerable size. A very large portion of the parish is mountain, bog, and waste, but the remainder is in a high state of cultivation under the most improved system of agriculture, and produces wheat, beans and barley in great abundance and of excellent quality. Limestone of many varieties is found here ; some kinds contain echenites, belemnites, and other similar fossils ; and large masses of ponderous iron ore and decomposed basalt usedin making Roman cement, are found imbedded among the limestone rocks ; one species of it is remarkable for its quality of setting instantly when immersed in water, Great quantities of limestone are exported from Glenarm, the quay of which is much resorted to by Scotch vessels in this trade, which bring coal and general merchandise in exchange. Close to the town of Glenarm is a coal mine, which has not been worked to advantage ; there are also indications of that mineral in other parts of the parish. Glenarm Castle, the residence of Edw. McDonnell, Esq., which is in this parish, is described in the account of the town. The glebe-house is the residence of the Rev. Ross Jebb ; and there are several elegant bathing-lodges at Carn lough, belonging to Alex. McManus, Esq., and others, which have tended much to induce visitors from the inland parts to resort hither during the summer months.

The living was a rectory and vicarage, the former annexed, in 1609, to the chancellorship of Connor, and the latter episcopally united, in 1768, to the rectory of Templeoughter, (which is completely enclosed within it) ; but on the death of Dr. Trail, the late chancellor, in 1830, the two parishes were consolidated under the provisions of Dr. Mant's act, into a single rectory, in the diocese of Connor, and placed under the patronage of the Bishop. The tithes, including those of Templeoughter, amount to £240 : the glebe-house, which is situated about 1- mile from the church, near the sea-shore, was built in 1813 by aid of a gift of £450 and a loan of £46 from the late Board of First Fruits ; the glebe of the union comprises 23a. 0r. 30p. valued at £46. 7. 6. per ann. : the total value of the benefice amounts to £286. 7. 6. The church, which occupies the site of an ancient monastery close to the shore near the town, was built in 1768, at the expense of the noble family of McDonnell, and was enlarged in 1822 by a loan of £300 from the late Board of First Fruits : it is a plain building with a tower and spire. The R. C. parish, which is called Glenarm, is co-extensive with the consolidated rectory of Tickmacrevan, and has two chapels, one at Glenarm, and the other at Carnlough, about two miles north-west of it. There are places of worship for Presbyterians, one of which is in connection with the Remonstrant Synod and of the third class, and a meeting-house for Wesleyan Methodists. Besides the schools noticed in the account of Glenarm, there are those of Cornabarna, Carnlough, Longfalls, and the Park, for the gratuitous education of poor children, in all of which there are 200 boys and 114 girls ; there are also 4 private and 4 Sunday schools. Some remains of the ancient monastery, built in 1465 by Robt. Bisset, a Scotchman, for Franciscan friars of the third order, are still to be seen on the shore near the town ; also those of the ancient church, a mile west of the town.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021