All Lewis entries for St. Iberius



St. Iberius

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Wexford

BROADWAY

BROADWAY, a village, in the parish of ST. IBERIUS, barony of FORTH, county of WEXFORD, and province of Leinster, 8 miles (S.S.E.) from Wexford; containing 160 inhabitants. It is situated at the northern extremity of Lady's Island lake, on the high road from Wexford to Carne, and till lately was a regular post town, but it is now only a sub-office to Wexford. Fairs are held on the Thursday after Trinity Sunday and on Oct. 18th. Here is a public dispensary. At Doyle's Cross, near the village is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists; and near it is Broadway Cottage, the residence of Dr. Lindsay. - See IBERIUS (ST.)

IBERIUS (ST.)

IBERIUS (ST.), a parish, in the barony of FORTH, county of WEXFORD, and province of LEINSTER; containing, with the post-town of Broadway, 543 inhabitants. It is situated at the head of Lady's Island Lake, and comprises 562 plantation acres, the property of G. W. Nunn, Esq. The living is an impropriate cure, in the diocese of Ferns, united to that of St. Mary's or Lady's Island, and together constituting the union of St. Iberius, in the patronage of the Bishop; the rectory is impropriate in the Earl of Portsmouth. The tithes amount to £59. 17. 4-., of which £22. 18. 11. is payable to the impropriator, and the remainder to the incumbent, who receives a stipend of £2 per annum for discharging the clerical duties of St. Mary's or Lady's Island. At Doyle's Cross is a meeting-house for Wesleyan Methodists. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Lady's Island.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021