All Lewis entries for Piercetown



Piercetown

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Westmeath

PIERCETOWN

PIERCETOWN, a parish, in the barony of RATHCONRATH, county of WESTMEATH, and province of LEINSTER, 9 miles (W. by N.) from Mullingar, on the road to Ballymahon, and on the river Inny ; containing 1089 inhabitants, This parish is bounded on the west by the county of Longford, and comprises 3778 statute acres, besides a great extent of bog : the land is principally under tillage ; there is abundance of limestone. Ballinacurra House is the residence of B. Digby, Esq. It is a rectory, in the diocese of Meath, forming part of the union of Almoritia : the tithes amount to £95 ; the glebe comprises 12 acres, valued at £24 per annum, In the R. C. divisions it is part of the union or district of Forgney, and contains a Chapel at Ballinacurra. A school, at Ballinacurra, in which about 50 children are educated, is aided by an annual grant of £30 from Mr. Digby ; and there is a private school, in which are about 30 children.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021