All Lewis entries for Killucan



Killucan

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Westmeath

KILLUCAN

KILLUCAN, a post-town and parish, in the barony of FARBILL, county of WESTMEATH, and province of LEINSTER, 3- miles (E.) from Mullingar, and 33 miles (W. by N.) from Dublin, on the road to Sligo and Galway ; containing 5989 inhabitants, of which number, 206 are in the town. This place, which is also called Killuquin, appears to have derived its name from an abbey founded here by St. Lucian, which subsequently became the parish church. A castle called Rathwire was also erected by Hugh de Lacy, of which only the foundations and some of the outworks are at present discernible. The town consists of 29 houses, and is a constabulary police station. Fairs are held on March 27th, May 25th, Sept. 29th, and Nov. 28th, and petty sessions every Saturday. The parish, which, with the district parish of Kinnegad, is co-extensive with the barony, comprises 26,043 statute acres ; the surface is greatly diversified, but the land is in general fertile and principally under tillage there are some large dairy farms ; the system of agriculture is improved, and there are some extensive tracts of bog. A railroad has been recently laid down at Griffinstown, by Mr. Fetherston-Haugh, for draining the bog on that estate. There are some very fine quarries of black flagstone, from which were taken materials for the custom-house docks of Dublin ; and on Sion Hill is a quarry having the appearance of slate, but it has not been yet worked. The principal seats are Lotown, the residence of William Dopping, Esq., situated in a richly wooded demesne ; Griffinstown House, of J. Fetherston-Haugh, Esq. ; Hyde Park, of J. D'Arcy, Esq. ; Wardinstown, of T. M. Webb, Esq. ; Curristown, of G. Purdon, Esq. ; Lisnabin, of E. Purdon, Esq., a handsome castellated mansion recently erected ; Huntingdon, of R. Purdon, Esq. ; Joristown, of P. Purdon, Esq. ; Grangemore, of E. Briscoe, Esq., a handsome house in a well-planted demesne ; Riverdale, of W. T. Briscoe, Esq. ; Craddenstown, of L. Ramage, Esq. ; Corbetstown, of J. D'Arcy, Esq. ; and Derrymoe, the property of T. J. Fetherston-Haugh, Esq., of Bracklyn Castle. On the demesne of Joristown is the hill of Knockshiban, a conspicuous landmark, commanding a very extensive prospect over a richly diversified tract of country. The Royal Canal passes through the parish: there are several very small lakes, and to the west are some dry limestone tracts, curiously interspersed with patches of bog. At Thomastown, a small hamlet on the canal, a market is held on Tuesday, where large quantities of corn are purchased and shipped.

The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Meath, and in the patronage of the Bishop: the tithes amount to £1072. 8. The church, for the erection of which the late Board of First Fruits gave £100 and granted a loan of £1200, in 1816, is a handsome edifice, with a well proportioned spire, and contains the sepulchral vault of the Pakenham family. The glebe-house is a neat residence, and the glebe comprises 30 acres. The R. C. parish is co-extensive with that of the Established Church: there are two chapels, situated respectively at Rathwire and Rathfarne. About 220 children are taught in four public schools, of which one is supported by the Trustees of Erasmus Smith's fund, who allow the master £30 per annum, with a house and garden rent-free ; and two by Lord and Lady Longford. There are also three private schools, in which are about 120 children. A flax society for spinning and weaving linen has been established, which affords employment to about 100 poor women ; and there is also a dispensary. In the old parish church were several chapels or chantries, of which the largest was dedicated to St. Mary ; and at Clonfad, on the southern confines of the parish, was a very ancient religious establishment, of which St. Etchen, who died in 577, was bishop: there are still some remains of the church. Numerous raths exist in the parish ; and on a hill near Lisnabin are the remains of some works called Pakenham's Fort, commanding an extensive prospect. At Rateen are the remains of a castle, in which the lord-lieutenant, who in 1450 had been made prisoner, was confined for some time. Many silver coins of the reign of Elizabeth, Jas. I., Chas. I., and the protectorate were found in two tin vessels in ploughing near Griffinstown.

KINNEGAD

KINNEGAD, a post-town and district parish, in the barony of FARBILL, county of WESTMEATH, and province of LEINSTER, 8- miles (E. S. E.) from Mullingar, and 29- (W. by N.) from Dublin, on the road to Athlone ; containing 2812 inhabitants, of which number, 670 are in the town. It comprises 115 houses, with a market-house in the centre, and is a great thoroughfare. There is a patent for three fairs and a market, but only one fair is held on the 9th of May. Here is a constabulary police station, and a dispensary. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the diocese of Meath, separated from the parish of Killucan upwards of 50 years since, and in the patronage of the Incumbent of Killucan : the curate's income proceeds from £46. 3. from the rector of Killucan, £17. 16. from Primate Boulter's fund, and 42 acres of land at £41. 1. per annum, with the glebe-house and offices. The church is a meat Gothic edifice, for the rebuilding of which the late Board of First Fruits, in 1822, granted a loan of £1050. There is a glebe-house, with a glebe of 30 acres, subject to a rent of £20. In the R. C. divisions it is the head of a union or district, called also Corralstown, comprising this parish and part of Clonard, and containing chapels at Kinnegad, Corralstown, and Clonard. Here is a school, which cost £169, raised by subscription and a grant from the lord-lieutenant's school fund, to which the Earl of Lanesborough contributes £5 annually : about 150 children are educated in this and another public school, and about 190 in five private schools.

RATHFARNE

RATHFARNE, a village, in the parish of KILLUCAN, barony of FARBILL, county of WESTMEATH, and province of LEINSTER, 4? miles (N.) from Kinnegad, on the road from Killucan to Trim ; containing 259 inhabitants. It is situated on the river Deel, which is here crossed by a long causeway or bridge of three arches, and in 1831 contained 45 houses : it is a station of the constabulary police. A market is held on Tuesday for corn, of which a large quantity is sold. Here is one of the two R. C. chapels belonging to the district of Killucan ; also a National school. Adjoining the village are the remains of an old castle, the walls of which extended across the river ; and at Kilcollan, in the vicinity, are the ruins of a church with a cemetery attached.

RATHWIRE

RATHWIRE, a village, in the parish of KILLUCAN, barony of FARBILL, county of WESTMEATH, and province of LEINSTER, 3 miles (N. N. W.) from Kinnegad, near the road to Killucan ; containing 45 houses and 265 inhabitants. The barony of Farbill was formerly called the manor of Rathwire ; it was granted by Edw. I. to Mortimer, Earl of March, and afterwards by Edw. III., in the ninth year of his reign, to Sir John D'Arcy, the then chief governor of Ireland, Here is a spacious R. C. chapel, being one of the two belonging to the district of Killucan. Some vestiges of a castle erected here by Hugh de Lacy may still be traced.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021