All Lewis entries for Rossmire



Rossmire

More information on Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)



Accompanying Lewis map for Waterford


BALLYBRACK

BALLYBRACK, a hamlet, in that part of the parish of ROSSMERE which is within the barony of DECIES-without-DRUM, county of WATERFORD, and province of MUNSTER, 2 miles (S. E.) from Kilmacthomas; containing 28 dwellings and 165 inhabitants.


KILMACTHOMAS

KILMACTHOMAS, a post-town, partly in the parish of BALLYLANEEN, hut chiefly in that of ROSSMIRE, barony of UPPERTHIRD, county of WATERFORD, and province of MUNSTER, 12 miles (W. S. W.) from Waterford, and 873/4 (S. W.) from Dublin, on the road from Cork to Waterford ; containing 982 inhabitants. It is situated on a steep hill, at the foot of which flows the small river Mahon, over which there is a good stone bridge. It has a dispensary, and is the headquarters of the constabulary police for the county: petty sessions are held here or at Stradbally on alternate Tuesdays. Fairs are held on Feb. 2nd, March 17th, May 12th, Aug. 12th, Sept. 29th, and Dec. 6th and 21st. A castle existed at this place, which was taken by Sir Charles Vavasour in 1643 ; it belonged to the Poer family, who are still the chief owners of property in this neighbourhood.


ROSSMERE

ROSSMERE, ROSSMIRE, or ROSSMORE, a parish, partly in the barony of DECIES-without-DRUM, but chiefly in that of UPPERTHIRD, county of WATERFORD, and province of MUNSTER ; containing, with the post-town of Kilmacthomas (which is separately described), 2484 inhabitants. It forms a narrow slip of land separating the portions of Upperthird barony ; and within its limits, at Newtown, on the confines of the three baronies of Upperthird, Middlethird, and Decies-without-Drum, it was designed to build a new town, of which the streets were marked out and paved, but only a few houses were built, and these have since mostly gone to ruin. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Lismore, and in the patronage of the Duke of Devonshire, in whom the rectory is impropriate : the tithes amount to #500, of which #300 is payable to the impropriator. and the remainder to the vicar. The church is a modern structure, towards the erection of which the late Board of First Fruits granted a loan of #750, in 1831 ; and there is a R. C. chapel. About 150 children are educated in two private schools ; and there is a Sunday school under the superintendence of the curate.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2020