All Lewis entries for Clonagam



Clonagam

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Waterford

CLONEGAM

CLONEGAM, a parish, in the barony of UPPERTHIRD, county of WATERFORD, and province of MUNSTER, 4- miles (S. E. by S.) from Carrick-on-Suir ; containing 2220 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated near the river Suir, comprises 4800 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and is chiefly demesne land attached to Curraghmore, the splendid seat of the Marquess of Waterford. The ancient castle of Curraghmore, which now forms part of the present mansion, was attacked by Cromwell in his retreat from Waterford, in 1649, and surrendered on honourable terms. Curraghmore is situated about two miles south of the river Suir, and in the vale of the Clodagh, a small stream that descends from the mountains ; and is approached between two extensive ranges of offices connected by the ancient castle front, on the parapet of which is a large figure of a stag, the crest of the Beresford family. The ancient castle has been in the lower part converted into a magnificent hall, and in the upper into a stately and superb apartment, called the castle room, In the rear of it is the more modern and spacious mansion, erected by the great-grandfather of the present marquess, commanding a rich and extensive view, in the foreground of which, at the extremity of the town, is a large artificial lake ; and in the distance, the stupendous and rugged mountains of Moanewollagh. The private pleasure grounds between the house and the river Clodagh are extensive and beautifully laid out ; and a 'broad gravel walk leading from them is continued along the bank of the river, to which the gardens extend. The demesne, which comprises 4000 acres, is richly ornamented with stately timber in such profusion, as in some parts to form woods of very great extent and luxuriant growth. This magnificent seat is pre-eminently distinguished for the natural grandeur of its scenery, diversified with lofty hills, rich vales, and dense woods, combining every variety of rural beauty with features of romantic and picturesque character. The other seats are Rocketts Castle, the residence of the Rev. J. T. Medlycott ; Mayfield, of J. Malcomson, Esq. ; Milford, of A. Labertouche, Esq. ; and Mount Bolton, of J. Bolton, Esq. The river Clodagh, which separates the parish from those of Kihineadon and Guileagh, is navigable for boats of any size for three miles from its junction with the Suir, and at a short distance from Curraghmore forms a considerable picturesque waterfall and salmon leap.

The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Lismore, episcopally united, in 1801, to that of Newtown-Lennan, together forming the union of Clonegam, in the patronage of the Crown : the tithes of the parish amount to £300 and the entire tithes of the benefice to £741. 9. 5. There is neither glebe-house nor glebe. The church, situated on the side of a hill, was rebuilt by the grandfather of the present marquess, in 1794 : it is an elegant small edifice ; the windows are of stained glass, and the west window is particularly fine, representing in its various compartments some of the most interesting subjects of sacred history. The church-yard is the burial-place of this noble family ; and on the summit of the hill above the church is a round tower, erected by the grandfather of the present marquess, in memory of his eldest son, who was killed at the age of thirteen : it was intended to raise it to the height of 120 feet, but it was heft unfinished at an elevation of 70 feet. Near the tower lies the great west window of the old cathedral of Waterford which it was intended to incorporate in an artificial ecclesiastical ruin, to form a Characteristic group with the round tower. In the R, C. divisions this parish forms part of the union or district of Carrick-on-Suir. At the gate-house of Curraghmore is a handsome modern building, erected by the Marchioness of Waterford as a school for the children of the neighbouring peasantry, and supported by the Marquess ; there is a school established and partly supported by Messrs. Malcomson, in which are 60 boys and 20 girls ; and there are two private schools, in which are about 90 boys and 30 girls. On an eminence commanding a fine view of the Earl of Besborough's improvements, on the opposite side of the river Suir, is an erect stone of large dimensions, concerning which many strange traditions are prevalent in the neighbourhood ; and about 40 yards distant are three subterranean apartments, which were discovered in 1810.

PORTLAW

PORTLAW, a post-town, partly in the parish of CLONEGAM, and partly in that of GUILCAGH, barony of UPPERTHIRD, county of WATERFORD, and province of MUNSTER, 9 miles (W.) from Waterford (to which it has a sub-post-office), and 83- (S. W.) from Dublin ; con-taining, in 1837, 3250 inhabitants. This place, which is situated on the small river Clodagh, is altogether of modern origin ; within the last 10 or 12 years there was scarcely a cabin to be seen on that spot which is now the site of a handsome and flourishing town. It is solely indebted for its growth and prosperity to the residence of Messrs. Malcolmson and sons, who introduced the cotton manufacture, and erected buildings for carrying it on upon a very extensive scale. The town is situated on the confines of Curraghmore Park, the princely seat of the Marquess of Waterford, from which it is separated only by the Clodagh, a deep and rapid stream, on the margin of which the mills are erected: the total number of houses is 465, of which many are handsome and well built, and the remainder neat cottages roofed with slate. The manufactory is a very spacious and lofty building, with a fiat roof, on which is a reservoir for water, 260 feet in length and 40 feet in breadth ; it is fitted up with the most improved machinery, propelled by three large water-wheels, and three steam-engines, the united power of which is estimated at more than that of 300 horses. These extensive works afford constant employment to considerably more than 1000 persons ; the amount of capital expended weekly is not less than £600. Connected with them are numerous trades to which they furnish employment ; and in all the various departments upon which they have an influence, it is calculated that more than 4000 persons are procuring a comfortable subsistence. The cottons, when manufactured, are bleached on the premises, and are chiefly sold in the home markets, though large quantities arc sometimes sent to America, The health, education, and morals of this newly created colony have been strictly attended to by its patrons ; a dispensary for the benefit of the working people has been established under the care of a resident surgeon within the walls of the concern ; a school, in which from 80 to 100 children are educated, has also been established there ; and the formation of a temperance society has been so successful that its members are nearly 500 in number: meetings of the Society are held once every fortnight in a spacious apartment fitted up for its accommodation. The fairs of Clonegam are now held here on Easter-Monday, May 28th, and Aug. 26th ; there is a constabulary police station, and petty sessions are held generally once a month. There is also a R. C. chapel.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021