All Lewis entries for Kilcooly


More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Tipperary


BALLINONTY, a hamlet, in the parish of KILCOOLEY, barony of SLIEVARDAGH, county of TIPPERARY, and province of MUNSTER, l? mile (N.) from Killenaule; containing 171 inhabitants. This place, which is the property of W. Going, Esq., is situated on the north-west confines of the Slievardagh coal field, and contains 12 houses, or cabins, inhabited by persons employed in the coal-works. There is a good sessions-house in the hamlet, in which the road sessions for the barony of Slievardagh, and the petty sessions for the division are held, the former, as occasion requires, and the latter weekly. There is also a dispensary.


BIRMINGHAM (NEW), a village and post-town, in the parish of KILCOOLEY, barony of SLIEVEARDAGH, county of TIPPERARY, and province of MUNSTER, 11? miles (E. N. E.) from Cashel, and 82 (S. W. by S.) from Dublin; containing 298 inhabitants. This place, which is situated at the termination of the mail coach road branching from Littleton, contains about 50 houses, and is indebted for its origin and name to the late Sir Vere Hunt, Hart., who, struck 'with its favourable situation contiguous to the coal mines of the Killenaule district used every effort to raise it into manufacturing importance. For this purpose he obtained patents for one or two weekly markets and twelve fairs, which are now discontinued; and the town, which was the residence of its founder, and is now the property of his son, Sir Aubrey de Vere, Bart., is at present comparatively deserted. It is a constabulary police station; and there is a small prison, to which offenders are committed occasionally by the county magistrates. The parochial R. C. chapel, a large and handsome structure in the later English style, and recently erected, is situated in the village; and there is a school of about 80 or 90 children.-See KILCOOLEY.


KILCOOLY, a parish, in the barony of SLIEVARDAGH, county of TIPPERARY, and province of MUNSTER, 5 miles (S.) from Johnstown ; containing, with the town of New Birmingham, 3667 inhabitants. Donagh Carbragh O'Brien, King of Limerick, founded an abbey here for Cistertian monks, about 1200, which, at the Reformation, was granted to the Earl of Ormond: the ruins are extensive, and contain a fine east window and some handsome tombs of the Ikerrin branch of the Butler family: the proprietor, W. Barker, Esq., has lately erected a study, or summer-house, in them. The parish comprises 9052 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, of which the whole is arable and pasture, except about 300 acres of woodland. Limestone abounds, and coal and culm are found on Mr. Barker's estate. Kilcooly Abbey, the residence of Mr. Barker, stands in a well-planted demesne of above 1600 statute acres. On its eastern verge is a tower built to commemorate the battle of Waterloo, which, being on a high hill, serves as an excellent landmark. On the hills is a colony of Palatines, brought from the county of Limerick, about 60 years since, by the late Sir W. Barker, Bart. The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Cashel, and in the patronage of the Crown: the tithes amount to £507. 13. 10-. The church is a handsome modern structure. There is a glebe-house, for the erection of which the late Board of First Fruits, in 1818, gave £350 and lent £450: the glebe comprises 22 acres, for which £42. 12. per annum late currency is paid by the rector, in the R. C. divisions this parish forms part of the district of Gurtnahoe, or Fennor, and has a chapel at New Birmingham. There is also a meeting-house for Wesleyan Methodists. About 280 children are educated in two public schools, to one of which Mr. and Lady Harriet Barker subscribe £20 per annum. There are some ruins of the castle of Grange.-See BIRMINGHAM (NEW).

Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021