All entries for Drom



Drom

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Tipperary

DROM

DROM, or DROMSPERANE, a parish, in the barony of ELIOGARTY, county of TIPPERARY, and province of MUNSTER, 2? miles (S. W.) from Templemore, on the road from that place to Cashel ; containing 1951 inhabitants. It comprises 4111 statute acres, and is in the diocese of Cashel ; the rectory is impropriate in the Marquess of Ormonde ; the vicarage forms part of the corps of the treasurership in the cathedral of St. Patrick, Cashel, The tithes amount to #221. 10. 9?., of 'which #138. 9. 2?. is payable to the impropriator, and the remainder to the vicar, In the R. C. divisions it is the head of a union or district, comprising this parish and Inch, in each of which is a chapel ; that of Drom is a large handsome building, erected in 1829. There is a public school, in which about 180, and two private schools, in which about 170, children are educated. Here are some remains of the old church. A constabulary police force is stationed in the village.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2020