All Lewis entries for Moore



Moore

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Roscommon

MOORE

MOORE, a parish, in the half-barony of MOYCARNON, county of ROSCOMMON, and province of CONNAUGHT, 2- miles (E.) from Ballinasloe, on the road to Athlone, and on the rivers Shannon and Suck ; containing 4376 inhabitants. Disturbances have occasionally occurred of late years at this place, which has been the scene of many outrages. The parish comprises 9856- statute acres, chiefly arable and poor land ; there are about 100 acres of bog, easily reclaimable, as there is a fall into the Shannon and Suck, which latter river merges into the Shannon, at right angles At Shannon bridge good limestone is abundant. Petty sessions are held at Ballydangan every Thursday ; and there is a constabulary police station, about a mile from which, at Tully House, is a chief station of the constabulary force, The principal seats are Clonburn, the residence of J. Knight, Esq. ; Falta, of T. Power, Esq. ; Thomastown Park, of E. H. Naghten, Esq. ; Castle Park, of W. Kelly, Esq. ; Birch Grove, of Mrs. O'Shaughnessy ; Killawn, of E. Duffy, Esq. ; Tully, of Mr. Lowry, the chief constable ; Woodpark, of Owen Lynch, Esq. ; Kilbegley, of B. Newcomen, Esq. ; Correen, of J. T. Potts, Esq. ; two at Shannon Bridge, the respective residences of A. and D. Lynch, Esqrs. ; and Dromalga Cottage, the property of Sir R. St. George, Bart., now occupied by Mr. Dexter, The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Tuam, episcopally united to the vicarage of Drum, and in the patronage of the Bishop: the tithes amount to £224. 10., of which £12 is payable to the dean of Clonfert ; and the gross tithes of the benefice are £302. 10. The church is a neat building, erected, in 1825, by a gift of £900 from the late Board of First Fruits: the basement story is appropriated as a residence for the sexton's family. The R. C. parish is co-extensive with that of the Established Church, and contains a chapel at Clonfad and another at Moore. There are two private schools, in which are about 100 children. At Clonburn, Moore, and Kilbegley, are ruins of churches with burial-grounds attached.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021