All Lewis entries for Killaconnigan



Killaconnigan

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Meath

KILBALIVER

KILBALIVER, a village, in the parish of KILLOGHCONNOGHAN, barony of LUNE, county of MEATH, and province of LEINSTER, 6? miles (W.) from Trim, on the road from Dublin to Mullingar; containing 29 houses and 183 inhabitants. It is a constabulary police station, and has fairs on March 25th, May 12th, August 15th, and Nov. 1st. The parish church, R. C. chapel and school, and a dispensary, are in this village. -See KILLOGHCONNOGHAN.

KILLOGHCONNOGHAN

KILLOGHCONNOGHAN, or KILACONNIGAN, a parish, in the barony of LUNE, county of MEATH, and province of LEINSTER. 6- miles (W.) from Trim, on the road from Dublin to Mullingar ; containing 2329 inhabitants. It comprises about 4000 acres, of which about one-fourth is bog, much of which was planted by the late Earl of Darnley ; the remainder is principally under tillage. There is a good quarry of limestone, and at Inchmore is a cornmill. Fairs are held on March 25th, May 12th, Aug. 15th, and Nov. 1st. The principal seats are Elm Grove, the residence of J. Browne, Esq. ; Parkstown, of J. Campbell, Esq. ; and Kilmur, the property of A. Montgomery, Esq. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the diocese of Meath, and in the gift of the Earl of Darnley, who is impropriator of the rectory: the tithes amount to £300, payable to the impropriator, who allows the perpetual curate £69. 4. 7-. per annum. The church is a neat structure, with a spire and steeple, and was erected in 1820, by aid of a gift of £200 from the late Earl of Darnley, and a loan of £700 from the late Board of First Fruits. The glebe-house was built by aid of a gift of £450 and a loan of £50 from the same Board, in 1822: the glebe comprises 21 acres. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Kildalkey, and has a handsome chapel, towards the erection of which the late Earl of Darnley gave £100, and half an acre of land on which it is built. About 150 children are educated in a school supported by the Earl of Darnley, and the same number in three private schools. There are some remains of a Franciscan friary and a castle at Donore, and of a castle at Carranstown.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021