All Lewis entries for Churchtown



Churchtown

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Meath

CHURCHTOWN

CHURCHTOWN, a parish, in the barony of LOWER NAVAN, county of MEATH, and province of LEINSTER, 3 miles (N. N. E.) from Trim ; containing 448 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the road from Ardbraccan to Trim, and on that from Athboy to Navan, and is separated from Clonmacduff by a small river : the land is principally under tillage, and has a substratum of limestone, The principal seats are Philpotstown, the residence of John T. Young, Esq. ; and Churchtown, of Mrs. Kellett. It is in the diocese of Meath, and is one of the six parishes which constitute the union of Ardbraccan ; the rectory is impropriate in the representatives of Miss Reynell, of Killynan, The tithes amount to £53. 1. 6-. per ann., of which £43. 6. 11. is payable to the impropriator, and the remainder to the incumbent. In the R. C. divisions the parish is united to those of Clonmacduff, Moymet, Tullyhanogue, Rataine, and Kilcooly, called the union of Dunderry, or of Churchtown and Moymet, in each of which latter places are chapels ; that of Churchtown is situated at Dunderry bridge. There is a school at Dunderry, aided by annual donations from the Earl of Fingall and Earl Ludlow. Some small remains of the old church exist, with a burial-ground attached.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021