All Lewis entries for Kilsaran



Kilsaran

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Louth

GREENMOUNT

GREENMOUNT, or DROMKEATH, a village, in the parish of KILSARAN, county of LOUTH, and province of LEINSTER, 1 mile (S.) from Castle-Bellingham, on the road from Drogheda to Dundalk ; containing 44 houses and 243 inhabitants. Here is an extensive camp, consisting of a high mound with a hollow area at the top, and partly encompassed by a single trench. At one extremity is a tumulus, on the side of which is an embanked area with a circular end, in which local tradition states that the first parliament ever assembled in Ireland was held.

KILSARAN

KILSARAN, or KILSORRAN, a parish, in the barony of ARDEE, county of LOUTH, and province of LEINSTER, on the mail coach road from Dublin to Belfast ; containing, with the parish of Gernoustown and the post-town of Castle-Bellingham, 3254 inhabitants. A commandery of Knights Templars was founded here in the 12th century by Matilda de Lacy, which was granted, in the reign of Edw. II., to the Knights Hospitallers. In 1483, Keating, prior of Kilmainham, appointed Marmaduke Lomley preceptor, but some time after threw him into prison, where he died of a broken heart. According to the Ordnance survey the parish comprises 3393- statute acres, of which 3127 are applotted under the tithe act and valued at £3732 per ann, The land is of superior quality, and is chiefly under a good system of tillage ; there is neither waste nor bog. The surrounding scenery is pleasingly diversified, and the neighbourhood is embellished with several handsome seats, among which are Milestown, the residence of J. Woolsey, Esq. ; Greenmount, of T. Macan, Esq. ; Maine, of B. B. Stafford, Esq. ; and Kilsaran, of M. Chester, Esq. The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Armagh, united by statute of the 9th of Anne, cap. 12, to the rectory of Gernonstown, and in the patronage of J. McClintock, Esq.: the tithes of this parish amount to £359. 1. 6. ; and the value of the union, including tithes and glebe, is £544. 16. 10. The glebe-house was built about 70 years since by Mrs. Spencer ; the glebe comprises 19- acres of profitable land, valued at £39 per ann. The church of the union is at Castle-Bellingham. In the R. C. divisions this is the head of a union or district, comprising the parishes of Kilsaran, Gernonstown, and Stabannon, and containing chapels at Kilsaran and Stabannon, of which the former is a large building adjoining the ruins of the ancient church. The parochial school is aided by an annual donation of £10 from the rector ; adjoining the R. C. chapel is a national school ; and there are also a female and an infants' school, supported by subscriptions: about 320 children are educated in these schools.

MILESTOWN

MILESTOWN, a village, in the parish of KILSARAN, barony of ARDEE, county of LOUTH, and province of LEINSTER, ? of a mile (S.) from Castle-Bellingham, on the mail road to Dublin ; containing 23 houses and 108 inhabitants.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021