CASTLE-BELLINGHAM, a post-town, in the parish of GERNONSTOWN, barony of ARDEE, county of LOUTH, and province of LEINSTER, 6 miles (S. S. E.) from Dundalk, and 34 (N. by W.) from Dublin; containing 115 houses and 611 inhabitants. This town, which is situated on the river Glyde, and on the mail coach road from Dublin to Belfast, takes its name from a castle belonging to the Bellingham family, which wasburnt by the forces of Jas. II. in their retreat before the army of King William, previously to the battle of the Boyne. The neighbourhood is embellished with several handsome seats, of which those of Lady Bellingham, Miss Bellingham, Major Sweeny, and Mrs. Filgate are the chief. An extensive brewery, in which the celebrated Castle-Bellingham ale is made, and a large malt-house, both belonging to J. Woolsey, Esq., give employment to about 70 persons. Fairs are held on Easter-Tuesday and Oct. 10th, for cattle, linen, &c. Here is a constabulary police station. The parish church, remarkable for its neatness, is situated in the town, and contains a fine font and some handsome monuments. There is a school supported by subscriptions; and a dispensary. Near the church, and at the entrance to the castle demesne, some neat cottages in the Elizabethan style have been erected for four widows, and endowed with £64 per ann., in 1826, by Sir W. Bellingham, Bart. There are some remains of the ancient castle near the river; and in a small bog adjoining, several perfect heads, with part of the horns, of the elk or moose deer have been found.-See GERNONSTOWN andGREENMOUNT.
GERNONSTOWN, a parish, in the barony of ARDEE, county of LOUTH, and province of LEINSTER, on the river Glyde and on the road from Drogheda to Dundalk ; the population, including that of the post-town of Castle-Bellingham, is returned with the parish of Kilsaran. This parish, which for all civil purposes is considered a part of Kilsaran, comprises, according to the Ordnance survey, 1302 statute acres, of which 17 are in the river Glyde; the soil is principally clay, with some loam and gravel ; the system of agriculture is greatly improved, and the land generally in a good state of cultivation. It is a rectory, in the diocese of Armagh, and part of the union of Kilsaran ; the tithes amount to £146. 15. 4. The church of the union is in this parish, and is situated close to the town of Castle-Bellingham. In the R. C. divisions it is part of the union or district of Kilsaran.