All Lewis entries for Clongesh



Clongesh

More information on Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)



Accompanying Lewis map for Longford


CLONGESH

CLONGESH, or CLOONGISH, a parish, in the barony and county of LONGFORD, and province of LEINSTER ; containing, with the post-town of Newtown-Forbes, 6736 inhabitants, This parish is situated on the road from Longford to Carrick-on-Shannon, and on the rivers Camlin and Shannon ; it contains 9616 statute acres, of which about 900 are woodland, 6800 arable and pasture, and the remainder waste and bog. Limestone quarries are worked for building and burning. A court for the manor of Castle-Forbes is held occasionally ; and petty sessions are held at Newtown-Forbes every alternate Tuesday. The principal seats in the parish are Castle-Forbes, the residence of the Earl of Granard ; Brianstown, of Thomas Gordon Auchmuty, Esq., representative of that Ilk, in Fife, North Britain ; Lismoy, of the Rev, J. Mitchell ; Lisbrack Cottinge, of Versehoyle Crawford, Esq. ; Monalagan Cottage of Dr. Forbes Crawford ; and Hermitage, of T. H. Ellis, Esq. Castle-Forbes was besieged by the Irish troops for some weeks, in the parliamentary war of 1641, and its defenders were obliged to capitulate for want of supplies.

The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Ardagh, united to part of the vicarage of Killoe, and in the patronage of the Bishop : the tithes amount to #461. 10. 9, The glebe-house was built in 1810, by aid of a gift of #100, and a loan of #650, from the late Board of First Fruits : the glebe comprises 50 acres, and is contiguous to the church. The church, situated at Newtown-Forbes, is supposed to have been originally built by the British settlers, about 1694 ; it has been rebuilt by aid of a gift of #830 from the late Board of First Fruits, in 1829. There is also a church on St. Ann's Hill, in that part of Killoe which is united with this parish. The R, C. parish is co-extensive with that of the Established Church : the chapel is at Newtown-Forbes, where there is also a place of worship for Methodists. At Lisnabo is a free school for both sexes, founded and endowed by the Rev. J. Mitchell, of Lismoy, who has charged his estate with an annuity of #50 for its support ; the school-house is an excellent slated building, with apartments for the master and mistress, and cost #700. A school is aided by the rector and diocesan fund, and there are four pay schools : in these about 600 children are educated. There are a few Danish raths, and the ruins of two churches. Part of the parish is called the Scots' Quarter, a Scottish colony having settled here in the beginning of the reign of Jas. I.-See NEWTOWN-FORBES,


NEWTOWN-FORBES

NEWTOWN-FORBES, a post-town, in the parish of CLONGESH, barony and county of LONGFORD, and province of LEINSTER, 2? miles (N. W.) from Longford, and 61 (W. N. W.) from Dublin, on the road from Longford to Carrick-on-Shannon ; containing 537 inhabitants. It derives its name from the family of the Earl of Granard, whose seat, Castle Forbes, is situated here. The estate was granted by Jas. I., in 1619, to Sir Arthur Forbes, an ancestor of that nobleman, and was created a manor, with the privileges of a market and fair. The proprietor built a strong mansion here, which, in 1641, sustained a severe siege by 500 insurgents, and was defended by Sir Arthur's widow, aided by her tenantry, to the last extremity. The village, which is pleasingly situated, comprises about 90 houses, and contains the parochial church, the R. C. chapel, and a meeting-house for Wesleyan Methodists. It is a station of the constabulary police ; and petty sessions are held on alternate Tuesdays. The market and fairs have been long discontinued.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2020