All entries for Cloonclare



Cloonclare

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Leitrim

CLONCLARE

CLONCLARE, or CLOONCLARE, a parish, partly in the barony of ROSSCLOGHER, but chiefly in that of DROMAHAIRE, county of LEITRIM, and province of CONNAUGHT ; containing, with part of the post-town of Manorhamilton, 9128 inhabitants, This parish is situated on the road from Enniskillen to Sligo, and comprises 33,241 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, besides a great extent of waste land, much of which is reclaimable, and a large quantity of bog. Coal exists, but is not worked ; and there is abundance of limestone, some of which is used for building. Large veins of iron ore of the best quality exist in the mountains of Doon and Glenfarne, which also furnish freestone equal to that of Portland. There is a bleach-green at Glenboy. Glenfarne Hall, the residence of C. hI. Tottenham, Esq., is situated in a very extensive demesne on Lough MacNean, which communicates with Lough Erne. The other seats are Hollymount, the residence of Simon Armstrong, Esq. ; Glenboy, of Lewis Algeo, Esq. ; and Fortland Cottage, of G. Gledstanes, Esq.

The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Kilmore, united from time immemorial to the vicarages of Clonlogher amid Killasnett, together forming the union of Manorhamilton, in the patronage of the Bishop, to whom the rectory is appropriate, The tithes amount to #300, of which #200 is paid to the bishop, and #100 to the vicar ; and the gross tithes of the benefice amount to #421. 6. 8. The church is a plain building with a handsome spire, erected in 1804, and for its repair the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have recently granted #115. The R. C. parish is co-extensive with that of the Established Church, and is also called Glenfarne ; there are two chapels, one at Glenfarne, the other in the town of Manorhamilton ; a third is in course of erection at Kilticlogher. At Manorhamilton are two places of worship for Methodists. There are six schools in the parish ; that at Manorhamilton is supported by a bequest, in 1819, from the late James John Masterson, Esq., of #26. 6. 6. per annum. In these schools about 170 boys and 230 girls receive instruction, and 14 boys and 25 girls are taught in a private school.-See MANORHAMILTON and KILTICLOGHER.

KILTYCLOGHER

KILTYCLOGHER, or SARAHVILLE, a village, in the parish of CLONCLARE, barony of DROMAHAIRE, county of LEITRIM, and province of CONNAUGHT ; containing 130 inhabitants. This village, which consists of about 25 houses, has been recently built by C. H. Tottenham, Esq., under the north-eastern range of the Glenfarne mountains. A market is held every Friday in a good market-house and is well attended, there being no other within seven miles. Fairs are held on the 14th of every month : here is a constabulary police station, and a R. C. chapel is in progress of erection.

MANOR-HAMILTON

MANOR-HAMILTON, a market and post-town, partly in the parish of KILLASNETT, barony of ROSSCLOGHER, but chiefly in that of CLONCLARE, barony of DROMAHAIRE, county of LEITRIM, and province of CONNAUGHT, 22 miles (N.) from Carrick-on-Shannon, and 102? (N. W.) from Dublin, on the road from Enniskillen to Sligo ; containing 1348 inhabitants. The manor was granted to Sir Fred. Hamilton, in the 16th of Chas. I., with extensive privileges, including courts leet and baron, and a court of record every three weeks, power to appoint a seneschal to hold pleas of all debts, with view of frankpledge, to have waifs and strays and privilege of free warren, and to determine causes and contracts to the amount of #1000. The castle, situated on a gentle eminence near the town, was by far the largest, strongest, and most handsome in the county : it was erected in the reign of Elizabeth by Sir F. Hamilton (from whom the place derives its foundation and name), and is 105 feet in length, 90 in breadth, and about 40 feet high, each of the stories being beautifully quoined and corniced with hewn stone : it is surrounded by a strong wall, defended by four bastions, one at each corner, and the stone of which it is built has a singularly glittering appearance, from the micaceous particles which it contains. The surrounding land is remarkably fertile ; the picturesque scenery affords interesting rides and views. The town forming one long street, consists of 233 houses, mostly thatched ; the Earl of Leitrim, who is proprietor of it, has built a spacious and handsome market-house in the centre, having a large square at the back with ranges of slated buildings for provisions. There is a sessions-house, in which sessions are held quarterly, and petty sessions on alternate Thursdays : attached to it is a bridewell. The market is on Thursday, and there are fairs on May 8th, July 1st, the first Thursday in August, and Oct. 7th ; also on the first Thursday (O. S.) in Nov., and on the 12th of every other month ; they are chiefly for cattle, and rank among the most important in the county. Here is a constabulary police station. Near the town are Skreeny, the seat of Lieut.-Col. J. J. Cullen ; Rockwood, of Capt. H. F. Cullen ; Hollymount, of Simon Armstrong, Esq. ; Glenboy, of Lewis Algeo, Esq. ; and Larkfield, of J. O'Donnell, Esq. The church is a neat building with a handsome spire, erected about 30 years since. There is a R. C. chapel ; and places of worship for Primitive and Wesleyan Methodists. A loan fund has lately been established, having a capital of #1000 ; a school is supported by a bequest of the late J. J. Masterson, Esq. ; and here is a dispensary.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2020