All entries for Rosenallis



Rosenallis

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Laois

MOUNT-MELLICK

MOUNT-MELLICK, a market and post-town, partly in the parish of COOLBANAGHER, barony of PORTNEHINCH, but chiefly in that of ROSENALLIS, barony of TINNEHINCH, QUEEN'S county, and province of LEINSTER, 5 miles (N. W.) from Maryborough, and 40 (W. S. W.) from Dublin, on the road from Portarlington to Clonaslee ; containing 4577 inhabitants. This town, which is nearly encircled by the small river Owenas or Onas, was anciently called Moun-cha-Meelick, signifying " the green island." It consists of one principal with some smaller streets, and in 1831 contained 700 houses, many of which are very neat and some elegant buildings : from the extent of its trade and manufactures it ranks as the chief town in the county. The weaving of cotton is carried on very extensively, and affords employment to about 2000 persons in the town and neighbourhood ; the manufacture of woollen stuffs and coarse woollen cloths also is conducted on a very extensive scale by the Messrs. Beale and Messrs. Milner and Sons, who have lately erected very spacious buildings adjoining the town for spinning and weaving, in which nearly the same number of persons are employed. In 1834, Messrs. J. and D. Roberts, from Anglesea, established an iron and brass foundry here, on an extensive scale, for the manufacture of steam and locomotive engines and machinery in general, in which about 40 persons are employed. There are also an extensive manufactory of bits and stirrups, a tanyard, three breweries, a flour-mill, two soap manufactories, a distillery making about 120,000 gallons of whiskey annually, and some long established potteries for tiles and the coarser kinds of earthenware. A branch of the Grand Canal, which has been brought to the town from Monastereven has greatly promoted its trade in corn, butter, and general merchandise, which is rapidly increasing. The market days are Wednesday and Saturday ; fairs for cattle, horses, sheep, and pigs are held on Feb. 1st, March 17th, May 1st, June 2nd, Thursday after Trinity-Sunday, July 20th, Aug. 26th, Sept. 29th, Nov. 1st, and Dec. 11th. A chief constabulary police force is stationed in the town, and there are subordinate stations at Clonaslee, Kilcabin, and Rosenallis. By a recent act of parliament, quarter sessions are held here in April and October ; and petty sessions are held by rotation weekly at Mount-Nugent, Ballymachugh, and Ballyjamesduff. A new court-house is about to be erected in or near a new street at present in progress from the church square to lrishtown. A branch of the Bank of Ireland was opened here in 1836. Here is a chapel of ease to the parish of Rosenallis, a handsome edifice, lately repaired by a grant of #110 from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, In the R. C. divisions this place is the head of the union or district of Mount-Mellick and Castlebrack, comprising parts of the parishes of Rosenallis, Castlebrack, and Coolbanagher, and containing the chapels of Mount-Mellick and Castlebrack : the former is a spacious structure. There are also in the town places of worship for the Society of Friends, and the Primitive and Wesleyan Methodists. A parochial school of the Leinster Society of Friends was established here in 1788 ; there are also a school in connection with the church, a national school, and a dispensary ; and a Temperance Society has been formed. There is a chalybeate spring at Derryguile.

ROSENALLIS

ROSENALLIS, or OREGAN, a parish, in the barony of TINNEHINCH, QUEEN'S county, and province of LEINSTER, on the road from Emo to Birr, through Clonaslee ; containing, with the greater part of the post-town of Mount-Mellick (which is separately described), 8463 inhabitants, The parish is said to have derived its name from Rossa Failgea, eldest son of Cathavir O'More. The north-eastern extremity of the Slieve Bloom mountains is included in it. The Barrow rises in Tinnehinch hill, and after receiving the tributary stream of the Owenass, or Onas, quits the parish near Mount-Mellick. The soil is cold, but capable of great improvement by the application of lime, which is much used, as is also a compost of clay, bog mould and the refuse of the farm-yard. In the Slieve Bloom mountains are quarries of a soft white sandstone, which hardens when exposed to the air, and is susceptible of a high polish ; it is in great demand throughout the country for chimney-pieces and hearth-stones ; a coarser kind is used for flagging. Another peculiarity of these mountains is the fertility of their northern side, which is interspersed with neat farm-houses and cultivated enclosures to its summit, while its southern side is mostly a heathy waste. Iron ore was formerly raised, but is not now. There is a large tract of bog in this district, affording an abundant supply of fuel. Tillage is more attended to than grazing : there are but few flocks of sheep. The chief crops are potatoes, wheat, barley and oats. Near Mount-Mellick are three public nurseries. Besides the fairs which are held in the last-named town, there is one at Tinnehinch on Oct. 29th solely for pigs. Comfortable farm-houses are thickly scattered through the parish, and there are several good mansions, of which the principal are Capard, the residence of John Pigott, Esq., situated on the side of a hill commanding an extensive view of the adjacent country, with the towns of Mount-Mellick, Maryborough, Portarlington, Mountrath, and Monastereven ; Rynn, of Mrs. Croasdaile ; Summergrove, of J. Sabatier, Esq. ; and the Glebe, of the Rev. Geo. Kemmis. The manufacture of woollen cloths, stuffs and cottons is carried on chiefly in Mount-Mellick and its vicinity ; there are also breweries and distilleries.

The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Kildare : the rectory is impropriate in Gen. Dunne ; the vicarage, united with those of Castlebrack, Kilmanman, and Rerymore, is in the patronage of Thos. Kemmis, Esq. The tithes amount to #398. 15. 4?., of which #265. 16. 11?. is payable to the impropriator. and

#132. l8. 5?. to the vicar ; the parishes of the union constitute the barony of Tinnehinch, and the tithes of the benefice amount to #336. 3. 3?. The glebe-house, at Camira, is a commodious building on an elevated piece of ground near the village of Rosenallis, and has a glebe of 180 acres annexed to it, besides which there are 356 acres of glebe, including mountain land, in the other parishes of the union. The church, at Rosenallis, is a neat building, and has been lately thoroughly repaired by means of a grant of #578 from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners : there is a chapel of ease at Mount-Mellick, In the R. C. divisions Rosenallis is the head of a union or district, comprising parts of the parishes of Rosenallis, Castlebrack and Rerymore ; the other part of the parish is in the district of Mount-Mellick ; there are chapels at Capard and Mount-Mellick. The Society of Friends have an enclosed burial-ground near the village. Besides the schools at Mount-Mellick, there are two in Rosenallis, one of which is a national school. At Rosenallis is a station of the constabulary police. Within the grounds of Cappard are several raths, and brass coins of Jas. II. were dug up near the mansion a few years since. A remarkable togher or bog-pass, in the neighbourhood, is pointed out as the place where an engagement took place between parties of King William's and King James's forces, in which the latter were defeated.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2019