All entries for Killabban



Killabban

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Laois

ARLES

ARLES, a village, in that part of the parish of KILLEBAN which is in the barony of SLIEUMARGUE, QUEENS county, and province of LEINSTER, 5 miles (N. W. by N.) from Carlow; containing 205 inhabitants. This place, which contains about 40 houses, is situated on the road from Carlow to Maryborough, and is of neat and pleasing appearance. The manufacture of tiles of excellent quality for roofing and flooring, and which were sent to Dublin and other places, where they were in much request, has been in a great degree superseded by the use of slates, and is now nearly extinct; the manufacture of yarn and linen is carried on to a small extent. The principal object of interest is the mausoleum of the Grace family, occupying the site of the south wing of the parish church, which was called Grace's chapel; it is 21 feet in length and 10 feet in breadth, with a lofty gabled roof, terminating at each extremity in crooked pinnacles 31 feet in height; the lower story consists of a vault with a circular roof, designed for the reception of the remains of the deceased members of the family, above which is a vaulted apartment of the same dimensions with a groined roof, in which are placed monumental inscriptions; in blank windows on the exterior are also large tablets, formerly within the building that previously occupied the site of the present mausoleum; the whole was erected in 1818, and the prevailing character is that of the later English style.

BALLICKMOYLER

BALLICKMOYLER, a village, in the parish of KILLEBAN, barony of SLIEUMARGUE, QUEEN'S county, and province of LEINSTER, 5 miles (S. S. W.) from Athy, on the road from Maryborough to Carlow; containing 249 inhabitants. This place was, previously to the disturbances in 1798, rapidly increasing in extent and prosperity, and had obtained a patent for holding a weekly market; but during that calamitous period more than half of it was laid in ruins and its market abandoned. The village contains about 40 houses; and there are some gentlemen's seats in the vicinity, which are described in the article on the parish. Fairs are held on March 16th and Nov. 11th, and petty sessions every Wednesday. The village is the chief constabulary police station for the barony, and contains a dispensary.-See KILLEBAN.

BALLYLINAN

BALLYLINAN, a village, in the parish of KILLEBAN, barony of BALLYADAMS, Queen's county, and province of LEINSTER, 3 miles (S. W.) from Athy, on the road to Castlecomer; containing 94 houses and 533 inhabitants. In the strata of the neighbouring lands are numerous marine exuviæ and some valuable coal mines, called the 'Wolf-Hill and Mordulah collieries, are worked by steam-engines recently erected. Great quantities of fine flag-stones were formerly raised on the adjoining townland of Boley; but on the discovery of similar quarries near Carlow, more conveniently situated for conveyance by canal, they were abandoned. Stones containing a large proportion of iron are found on the lands called Iron Park; hut no works have been yet established. The village is a constabulary police station, and has a penny post to Athy. Fairs are held in it on Jan. 11th, Feb. 10th, May 10th, Sept. 2nd, and Nov. 26th; and petty sessions every Saturday. To the north is Rahin, the seat of Lieut.-Col. Weldon, a handsome mansion surrounded by thriving plantations; and at a short distance are the luxuriant woods of Gracefield Lodge, the seat of the ancient family of Grace, whose old mansion has been taken down and replaced by an elegant villa in the later English style, from a design by Mr. Nash, completed in 1817; the grounds have been tastefully embellished, and the approach from the Kilkenny side presents some beautiful and interesting mountain scenery. In the village are the ruins of an old church, near which some ancient coins have been dug up; and on the Marquess of Lansdowne's estate of Luggaghcurran, in the vicinity, are the remains of a cromlech, consisting of five upright pillars about 4? feet high, and a table stone 8? feet long, 7 wide, and 2? feet in thickness. On the highest point of the Boley hills, and near the woods of Gracefield, is Dundrom, an extensive earthwork consisting of a vast mound, the summit of which is 130 yards in diameter, enclosed by a high bank, and surrounded at the base by a fosse 30 feet wide at the bottom. Within the enclosure is a well of fine water, and from the mound is a view of uncommon extent. This post was occupied by a party of the insurgents in 1798.-See KILLEBAN.

KILLEBAN

KILLEBAN, or KILLABIN, a parish, partly in the barony of BALLYADAMS, but chiefly in that of Slievemargy, QUEEN'S county and province of LEINSTER, 3 miles (S. by W.) from Athy, on the road from that place to Kilkenny ; containing 9776 inhabitants. It includes the villages of Arles, Ballylinan, and Ballickmoyler, which are separately described, and comprises 24,749 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. The land is generally fertile, and chiefly in pasture, with some bog and mountain ; the system of agriculture is improving. Limestone, flag-stone, and sandstone are quarried, and at Newtown are extensive collieries: there are also collieries at Modubah, Tellerton, Corgeo, and Hunt's Park. Fairs are held at Mayo on June 29th and Oct. 18th ; and a manorial court is held at Newtown. The principal seats are Cooper Hill, the residence of W. Cope Cooper, Esq. ; Ashfield Hall, of P. Gale, Esq. ; Rahin, of Lieut.-Col. Weldon ; Tollerton, of Hovendon Stapleton, Esq. ; Killeen, of M. Dillon Thomas, Esq. ; Maidenhead, of the Bambrick family ; Ardeateagle, of W. Fitzmaurice, Esq. ; and Hollymount, of W. Fishbourne, Esq. The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Leighlin, and in the gift of the Crown. The tIthes amount to #1292. 6. 1?. Here are two churches, one at Castletown and the other at Mayo, for the erection of one of which the late Board of First Fruits, in 1813, gave #800 ; and the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have lately granted #108 for the repairs of that at Castletown, and #172 for that at Mayo. There is nei-ther glebe-house nor glebe. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms the head of two unions or districts, one called Ballylinan and Aries, which has chapels at those places and at Killean ; the other called Mayo and Doonane, which is united with the parish of Rathaspick, and has chapels at Mayo and Doonane. About 400 children are educated in four public schools, to three of which the rector subscribes, and 640 in 16 private schools ; there are also six Sunday schools. St. Abban founded a monastery here in 650, in which he is said to have been interred: there are some remains of its church. There are also remains of the old church of Arles, and of the ancient castle of Hovendon, over the entrance to which are quartered the arms of the Leinster and Ormonde families. Near Castletown church is a well, which supplies water enough to turn a mill in its immediate vicinity.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2019