All Lewis entries for Pollrone



Pollrone

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Kilkenny

MOUNT-COIN

MOUNT-COIN, or MONCOIN, a village and extra-parochial place, locally in the parish of POLEROAN, barony of IVERK, county of KILKENNY, and province of LEINSTER, 6 miles (W.) from Waterford, on the road to Carrick-on-Suir ; containing 102 houses and 495 inhabitants. In the R. C. divisions this place is the head of a union or district, comprising the parishes of Rathkyran, Aglishmartin, Portnescully, Poleroan, Clonmore, Ballytarsna, Tubrid, and part of Burnchurch, in which union are three chapels ; that of Mountcoin is a neat edifice.

POLEROAN

POLEROAN, a parish, in the barony of IVERK, county of KILKENNY, and province of LEINSTER, 6 miles (N. W.) from Waterford, on the road to Carrick-on-Suir, and on the north-eastern bank of the river Suir ; containing 1245 inhabitants. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Ossory, united by act of council, in 1680, to the vicarages of Portnescully and Illud, together constituting the union of Poleroan, in the gift of the Corporation of Waterford, in whom the rectory is impropriate, The tithes amount to £300, of which one-half is payable to the impropriators, and the other to the vicar : the entire tithes of the benefice amount to £270. There is a glebe-house with a glebe of 4- acres, In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Moncoin. About 60 children are educated in a private school,


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021