All Lewis entries for Erke



Erke

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Kilkenny

EIRKE

EIRKE, a parish, partly in the barony of UPPER OSSORY, QUEEN'S county, but chiefly in that of GALMOY, county of KILKENNY, and province of LEINSTER, 8- miles (S. W.) from Durrow, on the road from Rathdowney to Johnstown ; containing 5565 inhabitants, and comprising 15,750 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, valued at £10,370. 6. per annum. About 2000 acres are bog. Two fairs are held at Bawn for cattle and horses ; and here is a constabulary police station. Livally is the seat of Fitzgerald, Esq. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Ossory, and in the patronage of the Crown ; the tithes amount to £692. 6. 1-. The glebe-house was built by aid of a gift of £100 and a loan of £800 from the late Board of First Fruits ; the glebe comprises 15a. 25p. The church is a plain building, erected in 1823, towards which the late Board lent £650. In the R. C. divisions the parish is the head of a union or district, comprising also those of Fartagh and Glashane, and containing three chapels, two in Eirke and one in Fartagh ; to the chapel at Moninamuck, in this parish, Lord Courtown gave an acre of land and £50 towards the expense of its erection ; it is in contemplation to rebuild the other. The parochial school is aided by the rector, and has a house and an acre of land rent-free ; about 50 boys and 50 girls are taught in it. There are also nine private schools, in which are about 500 children.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021