All Lewis entries for Ennisnag



Ennisnag

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Kilkenny

ENNISNAG

ENNISNAG, a parish, in the barony of SHILLELOGHER, county of KILKENNY, and province of LEINSTER, 5- miles (S.) from Kilkenny, on the King's river, and on the road from Kilkenny to Waterford ; containing 550 inhabitants. It comprises 1200 statute acres, of which 10 are woodland, 950 arable, 200 pasture, and about 40 waste. There are two flour-mills. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Ossory, and the corps of the treasurership of the cathedral of St. Canice, Kilkenny, in the patronage of the Bishop: the tithes amount to £169. The glebe-house was built by aid of a gift of £400 and a loan of £400 from the late Board of First Fruits, in 1821 ; the glebe comprises 18 acres. The church, a neat modern structure, was erected by aid of a gift of £900 from the same Board, in 1815, and the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have recently granted £124 for its repair. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Danesfort.

STONEYFORD

STONEYFORD, a village, partly in the parish of ENNISNAG, barony of SHILLELOGHER, but chiefly in that of CHURCH-JERPOINT, barony of KNOCKTOPHER, county of KILKENNY, and province of LEINSTER, 6 miles (S.) from Kilkenny, on the road to Waterford ; containing 74 houses and 445 inhabitants. It is a chief station of the constabulary police, and has a penny post to Thomastown. Petty sessions are held every alternate week. Here is a neat R. C. chapel, also a dispensary and fever hospital, maintained in the customary manner ; and schools for boys and girls, and one for infants, are patronised by Mr. and Mrs. Flood, of Flood Hall.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021