All Lewis entries for Knavinstown



Knavinstown

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Kildare

KNAVENSTOWN

KNAVENSTOWN, a parish, in the barony of WEST OPHALY, county of KILDARE, and province of LEINSTER, 2- miles (N. W.) from Kildare, on the road from Monastereven to Rathangan ; containing 124 inhabitants. This small parish, which is situated on the Grand Canal, comprises 886 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Kildare ; the rectory is appropriate to the dean and chapter, and the vicarage forms the corps of the treasurership of the cathedral of Kildare, in the patronage of the Bishop. The tithes amount to £12. 12., payable to the treasurer as vicarial tithes ; the rectorial tithes have never been brought under any valuation, but have from time immemorial been let with the lands, and probably are merely nominal. There is neither church, glebe-house, nor glebe ; the members of the Established Church attend divine service at the churches of Thomastown and Kildare. In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Kildare.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2020