All Lewis entries for Kilquane



Kilquane

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Kerry

KILQUANE

KILQUANE, a parish, in the barony of CORKAGUINEY, county of KERRY, and province of MUNSTER, 4- miles (N. W.) from Dingle, on the eastern side of Smerwick harbour, on the western coast ; containing 1982 inhabitants, This parish comprises 13,543 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, of which about one-half consists of coarse mountain pasture, bog, and rocky cliffs. It includes the headland of Ballydavid, where there is a detachment of the coast-guard from the station at Ferriter's cove. Salmon is taken at the mouth of the Moorstown river, which runs into the harbour and partly bounds the parish on the south, and some of the inhabitants are occasionally employed in the fishery off the coast. The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Ardfert and Aghadoe, and in the patron age of the Bishop : the tithes amount to £102. 15. 4-. There is no church or glebe-house, but there is a glebe of 6a. 1r. 20p. In the R. C. divisions this parish forms part of the union or district of Keel or Ferreter. About 60 children are educated in two private schools. Some remains of the old church still exist in the burial-ground.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021