All Lewis entries for Kilmoylan



Kilmoylan

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Galway

ANBALLY

ANBALLY, a village, in the parish of KILMOYLAN, barony of GLARE, county of GALWAY, and province of CONNAUGHT, 7 miles (S.) from Tuam, on the road to Galway, containing 224 inhabitants. It consists of 54 cottages, and is only remarkable for the ruins of an ancient castle in excellent preservation, which, during winter, arc completely surrounded by water from the turlough in the immediate vicinity.

KILMOYLAN

KILMOYLAN, a parish, in the barony of CLARE, county of GALWAY, and province of CONNAUGHT, 5- miles (S.) from Tuam, on the road from Mount-Bellew to Galway ; containing 1788 inhabitants, This parish comprises the villages of Anbally and Doncanamore, near the former of which are the ruins of Anbally castle ; there are also within its limits the remains of the castles of Tavanagh and Curofin. The principal seats are Curofin, that of Pierce Blake, Esq., and Annagh, of J. Bodkin, Esq. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Tuam, forming part of the union of Moylough ; the rectory constitutes the corps of the prebend of Kilmoylan in the cathedral of Tuam, and in the patronage of the Archbishop. The tithes amount to £280, half payable to the prebendary and half to the vicar. In the R. C. divisions it is part of the union or district of Clare-Tuam ; a chapel is now in progress of erection at Curofin. There is a public school, in which are about 80, and a private school, in which are 10, children.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021